Epic spring creek in brinson ga for shell crackers

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

antoni

Epic spring creek in brinson ga for shell crackers

Post by antoni »

I'm not a guide, just a fellow flyfisher like like the rest of us. I just want to share this unique fishery with the bigbend community and maybe a make a new friend.

About the creek: the most epic section of spring creek imo is upsteam from the brinson bridge on foot. the fish get much less fishing presure there. you will find unspoiled pools, runs, shoals and stones beds with a healthy helgramite, minow and crayfish populations. all summer spring creek is gin clear and wadable on foot and the creek temps stay below 75 degs all summer long.

you will be casting to largemouth bass and shell crackers. but there are some redeye bass and pickeral. The fish are so vibrant and healthy. the bass have black markings that are so vivid it looks like they were hand painted. but these bass act like trout. they sip flies and gulp crayfish all day and are very shy! If you are a good caster you even have a chance at bass on dry flies. most bass average 8"-16" with shots at 20+" fish. but you need some serious stealth skills to hook a spring creek bass. usually shell crackers will scoop up your fly just before the bass reaches it.

for shell crackers the average is about had size with plenty of shots at 10" fish. best i seen was an 11" shellie taken. for shellies use beadhead nymphs, crayfish, helgrimites and dark red/black san juan worm patterns in size 10-22 match the hatch and just drift your presentation through the pools and hold on!

if interested in hooking up pm me.
flybum

Re: Epic spring creek in brinson ga for shell crackers

Post by flybum »

this sounds like an interesting spot. which road is brinson bridge on i'm thinking about taking a trip over there sometime in the near future.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

I think he is referring to the Hwy 84 Bridge there in Brinson. There is some very good fishing in that area, but I would be leery about leavening my car/truck at the ramp under the bridge. A local farmer gives me access to the creek from his property north of the bridge or I will put the boat in at Smiths Landing south of the bridge and run up. It is a pretty good run from Smiths so if you don’t want to run that far there are plenty of good spots anywhere in between. You will pass many large springs that are crystal clear and a chilly 68 degrees. If you need more help just let me know. I am sure antoni wouldn’t mind helping you out either.

Grizzly
flybum

Post by flybum »

thanks
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Is Smith's landing off the Spring Creek road from the bypass?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

Smiths Landing is on Smiths Landing Rd. You can get there from either Spring creek road or Hwy 84 west. From spring creek road take Hwy 310 north make a left on smiths landing road the landing is at the end, from Brinson/84 west take Hwy 310 south, turn right on smiths landing rd. I will be heading that way early in the morning hope to see you there.
antoni

Post by antoni »

how did you guys do? i'm going up in the morning with a friend. i'm not bringing the fly rods. just pole fishing:) you know it's pretty new to me. i would describe it as fishings most purist form. just got a new breammaster 10' pole that is as light and sensitive as a 1wt. it has a creamy soft super fine tip that will detect the slightest flick of a fishes tail and has no problem protecting a 3lb tippet.... in terms of pure joy, this thing destroys my 3wt fly rod.

i'll let ya know how i do.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

I haven't been in a few weeks, but I am sure it will be good during the week with no traffic. I am sure you will have plenty of good wading water right now due to the lack of rain. Just find you a hole and the fish should be there.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I'm thinking thats our next destination Griz.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image