Grouper vs. Snapper set-ups

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

slayer

Grouper vs. Snapper set-ups

Post by slayer »

Please bear with me .....I am still trying to learn this offshore thing....

I have 1 DYI offshore trip under my belt, that was this past June out of Carrabelle, we had a blast and had pretty consistant action...most of it was undersized AJ's and big jacks and SHARKs!!!!!!

We are hoping to go back in Oct for some snapper fishing.....problem is, I was told I might need to adust my setup....

I was using 80lb powerpro with a 6oz egg sinker tied to a 120lb swivel then had 3 to 4 foot of 80lb clear mono with a 6/0 octopus circle hook tied to the end....

I was told that might not be the best set-up for the endangered red snapper....

Plus with the pin fish soon to disappear from the shallows, I was wondering about cut bait....in june we used nothing but live pinfish,,,,but we did try LY's and northern mackeral and squid, but never caught the first fish on any of the cut bait...

any info about changes yall might think I need to make would be appreciated
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Grouper vs. Snapper set-ups

Post by captkeyser »

Sounds about right to me Slayer. When the snapper are thick you can catch them on just about anything. Fished 2 weeks ago in 120ft of water and couldn't get the bait to the bottom. I use a very similar set up. You could down size your leader line a bit, but then you may loose that big grouper that beats the snapper to the punch. Once things cool off, you will still be able to get pins, just need to go in the rivers. :thumbup:
konrad

Post by konrad »

Cut bait and squid works fine for snapper. Regarding tackle I personally use 30lb braid with a 40lb floro carbon leader. Grouper are generally on the bottom while snapper tend to hang up higher. Your depth recorders should be able to give you a good idea to the exact depth. If not your in the wrong place.
KYFRED

Post by KYFRED »

What they say. I am no expert, but the we seem to use cut bait for snapper and start with live bait for grouper. It is my experieince that the AJ are typically above the snapper who are above the grouper. Another option other than pinfish are the "roosterfish" or perch. Typically they are on soft bottom. Rig a lighter action rod than you are using with weight and a double hook setup. Use cut squid pieces on a small hook for bait.