Lanark Offshore 10/21/2010

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jhults7

Lanark Offshore 10/21/2010

Post by jhults7 »

Me and a buddy headed out on the high seas again last thurday to do some grouper diggin. Like a broken record it was blowing 20ish out of the north and white capping on di reef...even know the bastages from noaa called 10kts all day with 1-2 ft seas....ignorance i tell ya! :x We caugth bait in short fashion and made our way out to 40ft. They were chewing big time but all fish were a few inches shy of legal. We made a big run to 60ish ft through the 2-4 ft seas in a 19ft maycraft... :o ..i question myself sometimes...but all went well. We got to the # with little showing on the machine but dropped on it and both of us were immideatly pinned by 8lb red snapper..man i love throwin those big pink pieces of pink meat back because i caught them on the wrong day of the week :roll:. We did manage a nice red grouper at 24" and a nice 5lb gag off this spot in addition to a few more endangered red catfish...!!! We headed to the next number and managed several short fish before I was nicely rewarded with an 18" Scamp grouper in 60ft..just like last week. We moved to another hole after that and got rocked up a couple times by really big fish...idk what they were but i think gags, and we did land another keeper gag and 4 more really nice snapper of this hole in 65ft. We also saw several nice kings at this spot cruising below the boat and I couldnt resist throwing out a flat line...5 mins later I had the biggest out of the bunch hooked...about a 35lber and he was pissed dummpin 30lb braid faster than deon sanders on a kick return....! I faught that S.O.B. for 20 mins and nearly got spooled twice...just when i thought i had him worn out and i had the upper hand, he made a side ways run and his tail knicked the line and we parted ways...mother@#$%^& :smt010. I was crushed but oh well...thats fishin. Had a good day with my buddy andy and were going to try and go a day this week seeing weve only got 9 weeks untill grouper season is closed for half a year..so get out there and take advantage while you can...tight lines- Capt J...
Final tally:
2 keeper gags
1 keeper Scamp grouper
1 keeper Red grouper
6 red snap dogs to 8lbs
12 Nice Black Sea bass
Too many short grouper to count
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: Lanark Offshore 10/21/2010

Post by slowroller »

:thumbup: Nice! Seas don't look to bad back there.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

:thumbup: Sounds like ya'll had a pretty good time.
jhults7 wrote: weve only got 9 weeks untill grouper season is closed for half a year.
You'll still be able to keep red grouper and scamp (and everything but gag) during the regular season, right?
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work. Didn't fish the red trout shootout this year?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
jhults7

Post by jhults7 »

Yes you will still be able to keep scamp and red grouper but we all know which ones are more common...at least when im fishing on my dads boat and on all my buddies' boat when we are bottom fishin...gags :smt011! Yeah it doesnt look bad in the pic because it was taken at 4pm at the end of the day after it layed down from 2-4 in the morning. Salty- Unfortunatley the dam shootout was scheduled on my wifes birthday and we already had plans in biloxi for that weekend....or else i would have been there in the mix with all of yall......good luck to yall that fish this weekend...the weather looks like its gonna be nice to get some of those gags on sunday! :thumbup: