Wacissa River water going to Nestle?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Wacissa River water going to Nestle?

Post by bman »

Here is one of those controversial topics:
I do not endorse the quotes or statements below- only posting for discussion sake.

The link below reports that
Last week a couple citizens from Wacissa and a couple of county officials met with Nestle Water. Nestle is currently in the application stages with the Suwannee River Water Management District (SRWMD) to pump water from the springs that feed the Wacissa River.
and
Nestle’s intention is to pump 70 trucks a day from the springs. Each truck holds 6,500 gallons this is 455,000 gallons “A DAY”. Further the way they seek to permit this with the SRWMD by including with their existing permit it could potentially be 1,600,000 gallons “A DAY”.
The author seems anti business but you can read more here:
http://earthfirstnews.wordpress.com/201 ... tle-water/

I'm all for companies making money and creating jobs. I also love the untouched nature of the Wacissa and would hate to see anything happen to it.
It also seems that with the drought conditions most of North Florida has experienced it would not be wise to take more fresh water out of our system.

Thoughts?
:pop_1
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Re: Wacissa River water going to Nestle?

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Thanks for posting. Was riding through the other day and had no idea what the signs were for. I hope thats not for drinking water!
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Adios! To my all-time favorite watering hole. We can forget about paddling the slave canal once they start pumping.
waterman

Post by waterman »

I work for Nestle. Before yall go getting bent out of shape. If a group of yall would like to come over and check out the Plant in Lee, I could see if I can set up a tour. Then you can see how we operate and make up your minds. Just PM me I will see what I can do. Thanks
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Why do you want Wacissa water?
Used up all the water around Lee?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IT WILL BE JUST LIKE AROUND N. JAX, FLA, ALL OF THE SHALLOW WELLS WENT DRY , ANYTHING LESS THAN 150 FT. DEEP , NORTH OF THE RIVER WHEN THEY STARTED PUMPING WATER FOR THE PAPER MILL. IT IS JUST LIKE COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN DOWN ON THE GULF, THEY WILL BE TAKING A RESOURCE AND SELLING IT WHEN THE RESOURCE BELONGS TO EVERYBODY AND SHOULD NOT BE COMMERCIALIZED.
MY .02 CENTS PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

The coca cola spring water plant in gilchrist county that pumps out of ginnie springs is almost out of business. I wonder why nestle thinks they can make more money? Maybe they should take over the gilchrist plant since it has a permit and coke doesn't want it anymore.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
bk1

Post by bk1 »

http://www.savethewacissa.com/index.html

Nestle Corporation wants to harvest Wacissa Rivers water to sell for profit. They are in the exploratory stages and have established test wells along one of the 13 known springs in the upper stretch of the Wacissa River. The international food giant, headquartered in Switzerland, wants to remove approximately 450,000 gallons of water per day. This water pulled from the aquifer would travel by way of tanker trucks traveling from Jefferson Countys small rural community of Wacissa to the current Deer Park bottling plant in nearby Madison County. Nestle has estimated 50-60 tanker trucks per day would travel this route.

The majority of Wacissa residents oppose this. Residents want to preserve their quiet community and rural lifestyle. Wacissa neighbors are collectively standing tall to protect their river. Likewise, the regional community of outdoor enthusiasts, kayak paddlers, air boaters, hunters and hikers alike are aghast at such an ideaan international corporation sucking water from the aquifer to sell for millions in profit. There are countless reasons to oppose Nestle bid for Wacissas water. Saying no to plastic bottled water is chief among them.

The nature-based tourism industry has long been a partner in the movement to reduce plastic water bottle consumption citing the numerous growing environmental challenges caused by the production and disposal process. We cannot simultaneously trash the planet and sell people hiking, biking, bird-watching and kayaking trips. We cannot admire a rivers magnificent wildlife, majestic trees, and vast wilderness while concurrently packing landfills around us with endless dumpster loads of plastic, Styrofoam and wasteful disposable products. This is bad business sense. Eco-tourism leaders are expected to be legitimate stewards of the environment. Nature-based tourism partners must protect a river and its fragile ecosystem for the health of a sustainable eco- tourism industry. But far more importantly, eco-tourism operators and recreational leaders must protect their rivers, oceans, swamplands, and forests on behalf of the planet. Its the only one weve got.

Preserving the integrity of this pristine river and its ecosystem are vital to the recreational passions of the community and the encompassing region. The Wacissa River and its surrounding wilderness are Jefferson Countys eco-tourism jewels. Insist that Jefferson County protect the Wacissa River by rejecting Nestle Corporations bid to set up shop in Wacissa, Florida.
Georgia Ackerman lives in Tallahassee, Florida. An outdoor enthusiast and recreational trip leader, she is also co-owner of The Wilderness Way, a nature-based business. She can be reached at Georgia@savethewacissa.com

1,000 years--the time it takes for one plastic bottle to decompose in a landfill
Half BILLION--the number of water bottles Americans use weekly
cotton

Post by cotton »

I was ready to start holding a picket sign, until Georgia mentioned quiet and airboats in the same paragraph. Can I hold 2 picket signs at the same time?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Man I love the blue hole in the hot summer!! I don't like Nestle
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It is not just the Wacissa that will be affected.
The Aucilla and the Apalachee Bay estuary will suffer big time,through less fresh water entering the Gulf.
Our area of the Gulf is the last remaining fertile area of the Gulf(for now).
No need for Nestle to kill it for a bottle of water.
The water management district is a paid by citizens organization to protect the resources for the citizens.
Who is getting paid off for this deal?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Jumptrout51 wrote:It is not just the Wacissa that will be affected.
The Aucilla and the Apalachee Bay estuary will suffer big time,through less fresh water entering the Gulf.
Our area of the Gulf is the last remaining fertile area of the Gulf(for now).
No need for Nestle to kill it for a bottle of water.
The water management district is a paid by citizens organization to protect the resources for the citizens.
Who is getting paid off for this deal?
Well put!! Get yore Nestle azzes out of Wacissa!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay Thirsty My Friends
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Why do you want Wacissa water?
Used up all the water around Lee?
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 . Tip of the iceburg folks...nothing good for our little piece of the world will come from them pumping water from the Wacissa.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Post by yardman32317 »

waterman wrote:I work for Nestle. Before yall go getting bent out of shape. If a group of yall would like to come over and check out the Plant in Lee, I could see if I can set up a tour. Then you can see how we operate and make up your minds. Just PM me I will see what I can do. Thanks
Minds are already made up, battle lines have been drawn, troops are being mustered, The OPORD is being written and there is nothing that Nestle can do to change our minds. This river doesn't belong to Nestle, the Boland's, the Jefferson County commissioners, the SRWMD or anyone else that might line their pockets with our valuable resource. It belongs to boaters, kayakers, tubers, divers, fishermen, and swimmers. It belongs to everyone and nobody has a right to alter something as perfect as the Wacissa. Greed is what is causing this to become an issue in the first place. Greed is what is causing the truth to remain below the surface. Greed is what will split the quite community of Wacissa.

Nobody wants Nestle in Wacissa so Nestle needs to takes its money and go home.
Sua Sponte
RLTW
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Anyone know what the daily flow of the river is?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image