Crab Traps

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wareagle1973

Crab Traps

Post by wareagle1973 »

I am curious to the guidlines for using crab traps at alligator point. Also how far do you recommend they be dropped off the shore?
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Re: Crab Traps

Post by Redfish Jim »

If you have the wire traps, I would stay shallow for blue crabs. Bayous, creeks and places like that are pretty good places to try. It would probably be killer just fishing anywhere off the beach in Mud Cove or in Alligator Harbor.

If you have stone crab traps, I would go out a ways into 12' - 25' or even deeper. With a limit of 5 traps per license for recreational, don't expect major yields of claws. You will average about 1 keeper claw per trap over an entire season. You'll occasionally hit the jackpot and usually get at least a good appetizer for two. I wouldn't bother doing it myself if I didn't go out to these depths on a fairly regular basis for shallow water grouper. It makes more sense, financially, to just buy them. If you try this, try to find areas where there is good natural bottom. These will also be good places to troll for grouper in shallow water. The action for grouper, at least trolling for them, seems to slow down when it gets too hot or too cold.

During cold weather, use fresh or frozen fish for bait. When it's warm, you can also use chicken, pork, or almost anything that will emit strong scent.

This pattern works pretty well for me.