Pedal drive question

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Pedal drive question

Post by GaryDroze »

Is there a major speed difference between the Mirage Sport & Outback? Everything I usually wade with fits into less than 10 feet of boat, based on the cheap-arse beater sit-in I've paddled for boat-only tourneys. But maybe the higher length/width ratio of Outback vs Sport makes it quicker? Along those lines, I'm in the market for one or the other, if anybody is selling.

(Yep, I'm joining you pedal drive funsters. Almost went for the little motorboat, but one of my students owns a Mirage & can't stop gushing about its fishing applications. Maybe he works for Hobie on commission...)
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Re: Pedal drive question

Post by yardman32317 »

I guess you've tried the pedal drive a like it.
I prefer NO pedal drive.
I use my kayaks in both salt and the fresh water rivers like the Wacissa.
I own several Wilderness System Tarpon 120's that are rigged for fishing a the entire family likes them.
I like to paddle and not worry about a drive system. Personal choice.
Just try out several types before you buy as the Hobie's can be quite pricey.
Sua Sponte
RLTW
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

You may want to check out the following link and some other chats on the fcka forum. There are lots of good discussions about this very question. Best of luck in your choice...

http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.ph ... ack#p29720
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

I own a Hobie Outback and am very satisified. I bought the Outback after renting numerous kayaks both peddle drive and paddle style. I narrowed down my selection to two Hobie peddle drives the Outback and Revolution. The Revolution was easier to PADDLE and was faster when PEDDLED and more nimble however, when in peddle mode I found a "fit issue" that I was not comfortable with. The Outback was more stable although not greatly more stable. It was slower in peddle mode but my speed merchant days are over so that was not a signicifiant factor. It is more diifficult to paddle VS the Revolution. I have on many occsions peddled for six hours + and had no trouble pushing the Outback through the water. Over all both craft are relatively equal and the stability of the Outback was the factor that won me over.

As mentioned to you in another post I enjoy trolling along the shore lines, around oyster bars, and across long strecthes of water. I don't go fast, I just want to get there and enjoy the scenery along the route in relative comfort.

See ya Sunday!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

The Outback is long and wide, and the Sport is short and wide. Most of the folks around here that prefer pedal drives are in the Outback for stability, or the Revolution for speed and agility. If your asking why would I care about speed if I'm in a kayak? Well if a boat is faster, then its probably requires less energy to operate the same distance as a slower boat.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

For pure fishablity, try the Revolution. It's the most versatile of all the Hobie Mirage drive boats. The Hobie fleet is full of other useful kayaks, but the Revo is the perfect inshore fishing kayak for this area with our shallow grass flats, narrow creeks, oyster bars, lakes, and rivers. Versatility is needed here, and the Revolution provides that. I is a servicable paddle boat as well as a great pedal boat.
Disclaimer: I am the Hobie regional sponsored fishing ProStaff rep. What boat do I pick every year from them? The Revo :thumbup: :thumbup:
clay shelfer

Post by clay shelfer »

I have to agree with some of the others....I prefer NO pedal drive for this area. I have been with others that had p-drive systems and they were more trouble than they were worth ie... stires up sand, takes up valuable space and gets in the way of true shallow water fishing. I will say the p-drives are nice for fresh water fishing but for good skinny water flats fishing I think the system catches more anglers than fish.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

I will say the p-drives are nice for fresh water fishing but for good skinny water flats fishing I think the system catches more anglers than fish.
Most of the successful kayak tournament anglers in the area including the IFA Kayak Fishing Tour overall Angler of the Year(Crawfordville's own Liam Callaghan) would beg to disagree. Local fishing report data also suggests differently
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

:stupid_1 I find it hard to fish and paddle at the same time. Next yak I get will definitely be peddle-driven. :smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I agree with Talltails. I have a few kayaks and use nothing except my Hobie Outback 99% of the time. The mirage drive is wonderful. I can do anything that a paddle yak can do. That Sport is a little short and the price difference isn't worth it. Go with an outback or Revo.
Team Jolly Mon
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Revolution! You wont be disopointed. :-D
Then you will start catchin fish like this Image