wading Alligator Harbor 3/28

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Hey, I had a slow, but encouraging day over at alligator harbor. I got there about 11:30, and started at the dirt boat ramp. the water had to be above 70. I would say 75, but I didn't have a thermometer. I can say I was only in a t-shirt and shorts in waist deep all day and never got chilled. the tide was coming in the whole time I fished and light wind. I headed west and threw a gold crocadile spoon the whole time.
the good news is I snagged some grass a couple of times and it was just getting started on turning green. I would say 3 weeks and the whole place will be back up green on the bottom. The even better news... I got a keeper red, right when I was about to pick up and head to bald point. Nothing to brag about, except when I'll be grilling him up tonight. He put up a good fight for his size, let me know it was a red before I could even see him. For those of you planning on going... I have to say start at the third pull off. The first is the boat ramp the second is about where the grass starts, and the third has a delightful little secret right at the end of the path. If you go at a low tide you can't miss what I'm talking about, and you'll understand why it's a good red spot when the tide is high.
Funny story, about the time I got to this spot, there was a man standing there on the path checking out the scene. We talked a bit, and both decided it might be a little early for the fishing in Alligator harbor. So he takes off, and right as I'm about to follow him and walk back along the rode, I take one more cast... Bam. If you were out there and drive a blue pick up, you met me, and I would say over the next weeks it's going to get real good along this stretch.

Does anybody know/have an opinion on what the clam beds will do for the fishing here? I saw all the pvc poles staking it off.
All in all a beautiful day and a happy ride home with a full back pack.
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ
cajun thunder

Post by cajun thunder »

Hey jepjones!
You better stay out of my fishing hole! Just joking. I fish the harbor as well. I went last night with a buddy and we caught 10 trout and two keeper reds on a falling tide. We caught trout until we had to leave at dark. This was all on shrimp and a cajun thunder. I see the calm beds your are talking about. It has not hurt my fishing out there. We hung some gator trout last evening. Well good luck and maybe run int o to you out there one day.

Cajun thunder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cajun thunder on 2002-04-12 8:54 pm ]</font>