Offshore report courtesy of Capt.Tom on board the White Ligh

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captain tom
Site Sponsor

Post by captain tom »

My clients for Sat. entered the grouper/trout tournament sponsored by the Alzheimers Research Center and the Hospice center. Many boats from Carrabelle (C-Quarters Marina) and Bayside Marina were in the tournament with weigh ins at both sites.
It was rough going with 3-4 foot seas but we ran about 17 miles out and killed the AJ's and grouper at the first stop with several 25-30 lb. jack crevalle. Man can they fight. They make an AJ seem like nothing. We left to try and win this thing and catch some good grouper. The next couple of spots were few keepers but no big ones. We had about 45 min. left in their trip and made one last stop and it was all big ones. We landed about 8-10 up to 13.7 lbs. and lost two nice ones that we never saw. We ran in at 35 kt. in 4 foot seas to make the weigh in. No one got wet at all. The Contender lives up to its reputation every time. Well we finished in I think 4th place with the 13.7 pounder, just out of the money but a very respectable showing from 4 nurses who can really fish. They work in open heart surgery at TMH. Thanks to Robin,Jennie,Tom and Penny for a great trip and loads of fun.
I was sure glad to see some nice size grouper biting and we caught AJ's at every stop and we were not on any wrecks. They are everywhere!!!
Bait is also everywhere and the kings are here. Not in force but they are here. Get out there and catch some. It is good for you!!!! Capt. Tom