AH

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skitterwalk

AH

Post by skitterwalk »

Hit the salt with Bakertize once again at around noon time waiting for the sun to warm up the shallows. We slip in at a relitively low tide and cast the shoreline in a HEAVY wind. We immedietly see reds, trout, and hundreds of sheephead but were definetly spooky! After about 30 minutes I run acrost a big tail waving in the air saying "hey cast over here!!" So I reel in my sebile as fast as I could then make a cast far beyond the pod of tailing reds. As I twitch my stick shad into the school I see several wakes bulge up behind it. Twas a fight to see who could eat it first as three reds go at it while I just wait for the drag to start screaming! Finally, one got a hold of it and out went my drag. She ended up being a nice 25 or so inch red. I found the school again and the same results 8) Another cast in the magical spot and looks like the trout wanted it more this time lol
I backed off the school and kept moving down the bank until this 27" red once again inhaled my stick shad
And yes I mean inhaled!!!
everything seemingly wanted a mouth full of sebile! I even had a nice sized sheephead slam it but with their hard mouth, couldn't get a hook in.
At this point I think, well heck im happy if I dont catch another fish the rest of the day! But boy was I wrong. Pedaling down the shoreline, I see another school except this time it had around 50 to 75 fish! I scramble to put down my rod and pick up a jig. I see one dart over and inhale it but only was about 20" and I went on to catch three more in the schoolie size but it wasn't what I was looking for so I continue my search for Mr. Biggun :mrgreen: Shure enugh, a pig of a red slips out of the glare zone on the water and I make a gentle picth off the tip of her nose. The white jig dissapears into her mouth and "bam" set the hook. I quickly realize my drag had been accidentaly turned all the way to the left(the light side) so I grab my spool and set the hook then tighten down the drag ready to fight. A good sleigh ride later she was in my hands :D
I call up rob and see how he was doin and apparently his long run to a spot he thought would pay off didn't :( he saw alot but were so spooky that just the line laying on the water scared em off....darn. Well the bottom I was over turned to sand so I turn around and head back to the flat. Once again I found another school and make a pitch beyond em... I hook up again although this time it wasn't a red nor a trout 8O
yes a mullet!
I ran into a huge school of trout all over 20" and although they really didnt want to eat. My seducing jiggle of a jig made em eat! Landing two was lucky enough for me as the school was already spooked and wasn't going to eat anymore.
Unfortunatly we had to head in but hope to do it tomorrow! :20
Last edited by skitterwalk on January 24th, 2011, 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Re: Spooky fish

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Outstanding!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Another classic!

You'll have you own Outdoor Show before long!

Do it again!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Mullet on jig. :o Now that's what I call jiggling a jig with juice. :smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

Harmsway wrote:Mullet on jig. :o Now that's what I call jiggling a jig with juice. :smt045
zero scent was on tht jig!
bull68dawg

Post by bull68dawg »

AWESOME DAY :thumbup: :thumbup:
"How do you like them apples"

UGA Grad 04 GO DAWGS!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

You need to hook up with Tall Tales and fish the Kayak tourneys with him or on his team. He can use the help(kidding). You would be an asset.
FF salute1
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

fishinfool wrote:You need to hook up with Tall Tales and fish the Kayak tourneys with him or on his team. He can use the help(kidding). You would be an asset.
FF salute1
way ahead of ya :-D
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Very nice SW!

You need to save your pennies and invest in one of these.

http://www.goprocamera.com/