Gulp!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Gulp!

Post by smeseroll »

Has anyone tried the Gulp! peeler crab with any success?

I like Gulp products, and I always have a pack of shrimp in the tackle box, but I've never tried these. It seems like it could work on a skittish red, but I'm a little skeptical. They don't look like they'd get the same action as other soft baits, but if I hear good things, I'll give em a try.
FishWithChris

Re: Gulp!

Post by FishWithChris »

Sharks and Catfish under cajuns up here. never had any success otherwise.

I ran one on a weighted hook as a jerk bait down in IRL and hooked a couple pup reds; but they eat anything down there.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

Yeah, I don't need any help catching sharks and catfish. Thanks.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have with mild success. I would think it would work, but I don't ever seem to fish it long enough. I looks so odd on the jig, I just can't seem to stick with it. I watched a show from La they were sight casting with them on a jig had and catching fish. It just doesn't work like the skrimp or the shad.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I've tried Gulp twice "never bought it" and I can catch just as many fish using my regular jigs and lures. I think that it's more of a confidence thing than the bait actually being a better bait :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Yeah, we thought we were gonna have to fold up shop and quit fishing when Trout Magic went out of business. Those paddle tails with white and red swirled were like crack cocaine to the reds. We figured out other options. I do use Gulp though too. Just not the crab.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

wevans wrote:I've tried Gulp twice "never bought it" and I can catch just as many fish using my regular jigs and lures. I think that it's more of a confidence thing than the bait actually being a better bait :smt004 :beer:
I think we catch just as many fish with Assassins, and other soft baits as the Gulp, however the Gulps just last a LOT longer on the hook. They cost more per bait but I think they cost a lot less per fish because they catch multiple fish easily (trout anyway) and they stand up to pinfish a lot better.

Never have tried the crabs, though I have a few packs in my tackle bag, don't really know the best way to fish them.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

wevans wrote:I've tried Gulp twice "never bought it" and I can catch just as many fish using my regular jigs and lures. I think that it's more of a confidence thing than the bait actually being a better bait :smt004 :beer:
I'll preface this by saying this is my opinion.

Gulp works! It does everything it was designed to do.

Berkley designed a product and developed an advertisement campaign like no other. As a result Gulp has caught more fisher folks than any other product of it's type to ever hit the market. Wevans hit the nail on the head. A trout will eat anything. If you have confidence in what you're throwing, and fish where the fish are, you'll catch fish. I do agree with Leonreno that Gulp are tough. But Gulp is not the only tough bait on the market. One of my criteria for soft plastics is "How tough is it?". Saltwater Assassin took the opposite approach from Gulp. SWA's are extremely soft. One or two bites and you have to change baits. As a result SWA sells a ton of baits. There was a bait on my rod from a previous trip when I started fishing this past Friday morning. At the end of the day Saturday I commented to my partner that I was going to have to put a new one on before long. I'll probably have to change it sometime during the next trip.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

tin can wrote:There was a bait on my rod from a previous trip when I started fishing this past Friday morning. At the end of the day Saturday I commented to my partner that I was going to have to put a new one on before long. I'll probably have to change it sometime during the next trip.

From the way JT told the story, you didn't catch any fish all day so it should be in pristine condition.
Dang I'm glad you're back TC. We missed you around here.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
tin can wrote:There was a bait on my rod from a previous trip when I started fishing this past Friday morning. At the end of the day Saturday I commented to my partner that I was going to have to put a new one on before long. I'll probably have to change it sometime during the next trip.

From the way JT told the story, you didn't catch any fish all day so it should be in pristine condition.
RC, I'm very disappointed in you. You've been around long enough to know not to believe anything that comes out of that old goat's mouth. I will admit that the 1 fish he caught did contribute to our limit.
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

tin can wrote: RC, I'm very disappointed in you. You've been around long enough to know not to believe anything that comes out of that old goat's mouth. I will admit that the 1 fish he caught did contribute to our limit.

I know I should've known better but I guess the optimist in me gets the better of my judgement from time to time.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I fish with real crab at times. For the last 3 years I have used the gulp crab at the same time, I have never caught a Red or trout on a gulp crab, sharks, but no Redtrout. I wound up chopping them up and putting them in a chum sock. The pinfish ate them.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

Thanks guys for all the input. You have all pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

Like I said before, I like Gulp baits, mainly shrimp and shad, but any time I want to throw a crab, I'll go with the real thing.