1st ever kayak trip

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlatCrazy

1st ever kayak trip

Post by FlatCrazy »

I took the plunge and bought a kayak last week. A buddy of mine has been after me for a while to get one. He tells me all these stories of getting close to tailing redfish, etc. so when the opportunity to purchase a Wilderness System Ride 135 at a decent price came around I jumped at the opportunity.

We launched our yaks in the back waters of Port St. Joe and fished the flats all the way to Black's Island. Best I can tell from my GPS, we paddled a little over 6 miles on Saturday. Had a few fish blow up on some topwaters late in the day, but overall it was a really bad day of fishing as I think the water was still just a little too cold. Mostly went just to try out the new kayak. I must admit it was a bunch of fun despite the bad fishing. Can't wait to go again in a few weeks when there is more life on the flats.

I do have one question. How do you guys land these fish that have large plugs hanging on them with exposed treble hooks? Do you guys take a net? I lost a fish due to the fact that I was hesitant to pull the fish into the yak and into my lap with those hooks being exposed. No need for a hook in the groin if you know what I mean.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: 1st ever kayak trip

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I fished SJB two weekends ago and agree it is still a little cold over there. The next day I took the ICW into Apalauch for some :beer: with the family. There are plenty of fish on flats south of Tally.

A net or a boga grip is a must if you're fishing with trebble hooks. Congrats on your purchase. Have fun.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Welcome to the simple life. Boga grips, fish grips, and yes a net. Also flatten the barbs, because you will get stuck. When you do, wrap the line around the hooks, then wrap it around your free hand, look away, count to 3 but pull on 2. It will pull right out if the barbs are flat, otherwise there are some pictures (and Xrays) on FCKA.net about stuck trebles with barbs , and the whispered murmurs of Help Me. LOL!
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

FlatCrazy wrote:I took the plunge and bought a kayak last week. A buddy of mine has been after me for a while to get one. He tells me all these stories of getting close to tailing redfish, etc. so when the opportunity to purchase a Wilderness System Ride 135 at a decent price came around I jumped at the opportunity.

We launched our yaks in the back waters of Port St. Joe and fished the flats all the way to Black's Island. Best I can tell from my GPS, we paddled a little over 6 miles on Saturday. Had a few fish blow up on some topwaters late in the day, but overall it was a really bad day of fishing as I think the water was still just a little too cold. Mostly went just to try out the new kayak. I must admit it was a bunch of fun despite the bad fishing. Can't wait to go again in a few weeks when there is more life on the flats.

I do have one question. How do you guys land these fish that have large plugs hanging on them with exposed treble hooks? Do you guys take a net? I lost a fish due to the fact that I was hesitant to pull the fish into the yak and into my lap with those hooks being exposed. No need for a hook in the groin if you know what I mean.

Congrats on the new Yak!! I miss mine sometimes...

I like those fish grips.... You can lock them on the fish and keep him on the side of the yak to remove any hooks without putting them in the yak and risk getting hooked!! The best tip I can recommend would be less is more. I was and still am a tackle ho, but I always hauled too much with me. By the time you try and reach around for the net and try to control your rod it could get a little nuts. I liked reaching down with the grips and locking on, securing the pole and removing the hooks...

It took me a couple of trips to figure out what was best for me...
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »