Late April Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pastorterry

Late April Fishing

Post by pastorterry »

I am coming down for 3 days in late April 927-30). We will be chasing trout, Reds and Spanish. Will the fishing continue to get better between now and then? We usually do pretty well at Dog Island Reef for the Spanish but I want to fish for trout more this time. We will be putting in at Lanark. Anyone have any advice for trout and Reds in that part of the world? Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
fishdux

Re: Late April Fishing

Post by fishdux »

The grass flats directly in back of Dog and St. George Island should have plenty of trout on them. I usually use topwater in low light conditions and a jig under a cork as the sun comes up. As for the reds, try the oysterbars behind the state park on the East end of St' George. We always have luck there. You also have the option of running to Bob Sykes cut on St George and fish shrimp or live bait on the bottom for reds.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Shoot man, that's a lot of runnin from Lanark :o Once you leave outta the basin, there will be Trout to your left, right or stait ahead along Bird Island :thumbup: you can always find a Red around the many docks and on the many shouls close by :thumbup: :thumbup: You will probably have to go out towards DI reef to get into the Spanish "I would troll a redhead gotcha all the way out" :smt004 I don't fish over that way to much any more, but aint never been skunked over there neither :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

We fish out of Lanark more than anywhere else, and usually chase the trout around Turkey shoals, in front of the LSU lab. You can also catch them behind Lanark Reef from the ramp all the way to Summer Camp area near Turkey Shoals.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

LSU lab, leonreno?
The Back Porch
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

What Wevans said. Ease out of the basin and start fishing.
What was I supposed to do today?
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to it.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

tallykenj wrote:LSU lab, leonreno?
Oops, that's FSU lab. :oops: