Light House Boat Ramp

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Re: Light House Boat Ramp

Post by Fighting Conch »

I've always been too chicken to boat the Aucilla, here is ramp at way low
Aucilla Ramp.jpg
Aucilla Ramp.jpg (225.26 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Aucilla Ramp 2.jpg
Aucilla Ramp 2.jpg (225.13 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

I say fix lower Fenholloway, I cant tell you the last time I put in or took out without having to back the trailer off the end of the ramp.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

That first pic is the angle you want to launch from Skag. If you go at a 45 and put the right gunnel almost under the dock then the drop off that ledge isn't too deep :D

Sorry to give away all your secrets JT. I'm sure there will be people waiting in line there now :smt005

Kirt, I just put some bunk skids on my trailer and no longer have that issue. I need to be careful not to unhook the front straps before I'm over water now though. Food for thought.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Aucilla Ramp at Low Tide

Post by Fighting Conch »

Aucilla Ramp.jpg
Aucilla Ramp.jpg (225.26 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
Aucilla Ramp 2.jpg
Aucilla Ramp 2.jpg (225.13 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SHOWBOAT wrote:

Kirt, I just put some bunk skids on my trailer and no longer have that issue. I need to be careful not to unhook the front straps before I'm over water now though. Food for thought.

I also took Showboat's solution and added slick boards to my bunks. The boat now slides on and off easily. Coastal Trailer in Medart sells slick boards by the foot and will even drill and countersink the mounting screw holes. They ain't cheap but are worth it.
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

Actually I can push it off now, with a little more effort than you however, there are not many times(unless its neg tide and hard northeast wind) I have to go over the lip of the ramp to get the boat in(almost always pushing off the trailer), taking it out is the problem, my bunks are too high to load without being over the lip on most non-high tides. I have thought about the slicks for the bunks, the only reason I don't do it is I have had a few friends unhook the front strap before backing in because they thought I forgot to. I usually just loosen the front strap a foot or so and lock it. Probably would not be a problem as long as I back it in every time but a few people like to back it in and they tend hit the brakes kinda hard and I would hate to be one of those guys with pictures of their boat halfway up the ramp eating concrete. Some friends just like to help but I try to tell them that it doesn't make it any faster if I unload it by myself or with assistance, actually probably a bit slower with help, the only thing I actually like help with is parking the truck and trailer. Thanks for the suggestions on the slicks however. On a side note, do you think the slicks are better for the bottom of the boat as far as winching the boat on the trailer? I have always been a little worried about that when I have to winch it up 7 or 8 feet, seems like there it alot of friction.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The slicks are a soft polymer that is almost greasy to the touch. They definitely help when cranking with the winch, as the fiberglass just slides over them. Certainly easier than the normal carpet. But you do need to be careful about the strap, braking on steep ramps, etc. I only launch and load my boat myself and I don't loosen the strap until the engine is over the water.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

If you folks want to make it easier to unload and load without installing glide sticks, put some regular old car wax on your carpeted bunks. Not as slick as the glides, but you still want to keep your wench strap hooked.
What was I supposed to do today?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Silicone spray every once in a while works good too.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?