Kayak Sight Fishing

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tkmcknig

Re: Kayak Sight Fishing

Post by Tkmcknig »

Barhopr wrote:I think you would have to stack the odds in your favor if you want to sight fish from a Yak and catch fish consistently. Find sand bottom and turtle grass. Get your sidearm or underhand cast down to a science because when you see them while standing in a Yak they will be close. Fish the Shoal and reef @ Lanark.
I've been out to lanark a bunch but I usually hit up the docks for reds and the deeper water over the grass for trout. How far of a paddle is the reef? Does it come up almost like an island? And is the shoal and reef the same or in the same area? Sorry for all the questions haha. Thanks!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Lanark reef is an easy paddle from the ramp. It does stick up like an island. Easy to find on any fishing map or with you'd eyes if the visibility is ok. The shoal is turkey point shoal ( I assume this is the shoal he speaks of). Is is a little east of lanark reef. That would be a tough paddle from lanark. Both are easily seen on google earth or any fishing map. Just look for the 2 shallow reefs less than a mile from shore. Turkey point is between lanark and st Theresa ( look for the big point) and he shoal is just south of the point. Ps I'll be fishing there this weekend!! Good luck, hope this helps
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
jeeper50

Post by jeeper50 »

Several coworkers and I are headed to HoHum (Lanark) this next thursday thru Sunday 7-10th. We have never fished that area but we are looking forward to trying it out. We plan on fishing the reef and most of the docks and grass for any hungry fish.

Anything good just west of there to watch for?