St. George Island 4-13/15-02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

Went to St. George Island last week just in time for the wind and rain. Decided since I could not go out in the boat, I was going to the beach. My father in law went with me. He caught the first fish, a 16 inch blue. He was using shrimp, I was using Fishbites. From that point on, the bites (no pun intended) swung in my favor. At the end of the day, I had 15 whiting (some of the largest I have ever seen) and two POMPANO, he had 6 whiting and most of his were small. Please note, these were the first Pompano I had ever seen except for pictures and they were on the end of my line

Went back on Sunday and only caught 2 large whiting, but I had 3 nice POMPANO. Wow, before Saturday I had never even seen one and now I had caught 5. The problem on Sunday was we were catching a lot of the dreaded seaweed fish. Could hardly through out without bring back a big glob of it.

Went out on Monday and first bite was a Ray. Finally got him off of the hook without any injury to him or myself. Then caught 2 POMPANO. I know this does not compare to many on this board, but even surf fishing is new to me, let alone catching the "Holy Grail" of the surf Then something started to peel drag from one of my rods. After fighting this sea monster for a few minutes, it hit the bottom about 30 feet out and would not move. OK, my forth bite of the day was a large ray, but I had had a lot of fun and as the advertisement says, "Guess what's for dinner tonight?" I can promise you it ain't beef :grin:
waitin

Post by waitin »

Sounds like fun!
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Good deal,, those pomps are the best eating around. Were you fishing in the park or east pass? Never tried the fish-bites but sounds like they work from the report. Might have to try and find some before the weekend. I hear they stay on the hook very well, allowing you to catch 2 or more fish without re-baiting.
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

Fish were caught in the state park. As I could have told you 6 months ago, the weather did not cooperate while I was there, but became just plain beautiful as I was leaving. Don't have 4 wheel drive so East Pass is not an option without the boat.

Took a test ride in a Twin Vee 19 Baycat while I was there. As soon as I can sell my current boat, 2 to 3 footers ain't going to slow me down. :cool:

The fishbites are great, you can get them from http://www.fishbites.com but if you do not already have them you can only mail order them. Nearest dealer on West coast is Steinhatchee. On occasion when the fish were biting pretty good I have caught 4 or 5 on a single bait. No special storage required, just don't leave out in broiling heat. Causes the colors to go dark. Please note: my only conection to fishbites is that of a very satisfied user.