April 22 - St George Island

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

April 22 - St George Island

Post by Terrier »

took the day off from work and headed to SGI with the fly rods. Got there at 8:00AM and fished the surf - I had hoped to get a pompano on the fly but no luck. I did get a nice ladyfish and two whiting on the fly - yellow and small was the key. After the surf, I headed over to the Youth Camp Boat ramp and fished. After a few casts a redfish slammed the clouser and took off on a hard surging run which was followed by a more surges and runs, with a few head shakes thrown in. It would have taken me into the backing except I was using a 125' intermediate line (Cortland Little tunny). Finally landed it - 23" Red, my biggest fish on the fly and by far the hardest fight I've had on the fly rod. I got it on a brown over orange marabou clouser with some pearl root beer gliss n' glow for flash. After that, I had one redfish follow and swipe at a fly and a few ticks from smaller fish, but nothing else landed.

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: April 22 - St George Island

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

good day :thumbup: :thumbup: post up some fly patterns i need something new to tie
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CONGRATULATION, THOSE REDS WILL GIVE YA A BATTLE ON A LONG STICK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

FHC wrote:good day :thumbup: :thumbup: post up some fly patterns i need something new to tie
I don't have a lot of saltwater experience but what has worked for me are clousers, schminnows, seaducers:

The top row of flies are orange/burnt orange/root beer marabou clousers and half n' half clousers. The bottom left is an Arctic fox clouser, follows by a schminnow, then two Giles clousers and then three charlie/gotcha style flies. The Giles clouser seems to do well in the surf; google the name - its designed for pompano and the color combination seems to work really well. Its tied with craft fur instead of bucktail. Other flies that I plan on using more are the borski redfish slider and mylar spoons.

I'm usually blind casting in deeper water (not sight casting) and usually use Cortland Little Tunny intermediate line.
FUTCHCAIRO wrote:CONGRATULATION, THOSE REDS WILL GIVE YA A BATTLE ON A LONG STICK.
PA
SEMPER FI
You said it Pa - I can't imagine what an overslot red would be like on an 8wt.
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

Terrier wrote:took the day off from work and headed to SGI with the fly rods. Got there at 8:00AM and fished the surf - I had hoped to get a pompano on the fly but no luck. I did get a nice ladyfish and two whiting on the fly - yellow and small was the key. After the surf, I headed over to the Youth Camp Boat ramp and fished. After a few casts a redfish slammed the clouser and took off on a hard surging run which was followed by a more surges and runs, with a few head shakes thrown in. It would have taken me into the backing except I was using a 125' intermediate line (Cortland Little tunny). Finally landed it - 23" Red, my biggest fish on the fly and by far the hardest fight I've had on the fly rod. I got it on a brown over orange marabou clouser with some pearl root beer gliss n' glow for flash. After that, I had one redfish follow and swipe at a fly and a few ticks from smaller fish, but nothing else landed.

Nice carp on fly!

Where did you catch it?