Spring Fever

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Spring Fever

Post by red_yakker »

I had a bad case of Spring Fever at work yesterday morning, so I used a little vacation time and took off at noon to go kayaking :D It was my intention to do a C & R trip and try to get as many pictures as possible. I hit the beach at about 1:45 and paddled into the wind until I couldn't paddle any further (5'-6' of water). I caught a really nice trout early on (forgot my measuring stick, I'm guessing around 22"), snapped a picture and let him go. Finished that drift with no more takers and decied to paddle out further for my next drift. I hooked an even bigger one on the next drift, but lost him right beside the boat before I could get a picture. A few minutes later, I cast into a pod of baitfish and hooked up with another nice one, but again I lost him just as I was pulling him into my lap for a picture (I need to start bringing a landing net on my kayak :roll: ). I caught one more 16-17" trout near the end of that drift and released him quickly in the hopes of hooking up with another nice one. Finished that drift with no luck then decided I didn't feel like paddling into the wind again, so I paddled with the wind up to the grassline to look for redfish.

I did find one redfish terrorizing a little school of bait and I cast to him, but he must have seen me because he skee-daddled as soon as I did :x . I worked the shoreline all the way back to the beach with no luck. As I was loading my kayak, I looked down at my watch and laughed to myself, not quite 4:00. I should do this more often :D

P.S. I was throwing a 4" pearl white Gulp on an unweighted 2/0 circle hook, I somehow made it out there without any 3/0 hooks, and that's what I attribute the two lost fish to.
Attachments
0518111436b.jpg
0518111436b.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Fever

Post by yardman32317 »

Awesome report and it just adds fuel to my fire to get out there again. But until my deck repair job is complete that will have to wait.
Sua Sponte
RLTW
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Have you ever tried the flutter hooks(weighted) or the unweighted Kahle style? Both allow for weedless loading and have better hookup ratios for trout as they tend to hook the top of the mouth rather than the corner.
Nice Fish, tight lines.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."