Diving etiquette.

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HonkeyKong

Diving etiquette.

Post by HonkeyKong »

Since snapper season has opened we've migrated from fishing Panacea to Destin for easy access to deep water. Recently I ran into a situation where a dive boat set out a flag and anchored right in the middle of a group of fishing boats. As we all know you must be 300ft from a boat with a dive flag. In that situation should the fishing boats move 300 from the diver or should the diver move 300ft from the fishing boats?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Diving etiquette.

Post by Tom Keels »

Common misunderstanding of the rule. You do not have to be 300 feet from a boat with a dive flag. Your speed must be at the minimum to maintain steerage while underway within 300 feet of a boat displaying a diver down flag.

I can only assume that since there was a group of boats that it was a public number. If so, you really don't have any expectation of privacy from dive boats or anyone else. Was it poor form by the dive boat captain? Yes. Was it illegal, no.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

HonkeyKong

Post by HonkeyKong »

Yes it was a public number. I wasn't upset, but a lot of the boats were worried that if FWC saw them around the flag that they would get ticketed. I was more worried about other people dropping anchors on the divers heads! Thank you clarifying the rule Mr. Keels.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

No problem. Like I said, it's a common misunderstanding. With scallop season coming up people need to be aware of the rule. Divers have their own responsibility for safety. However, if you are at full speed 50 feet from the boat flying the flag while I'm in the water, you will get a middle finger salute.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Muddiver

Post by Muddiver »

I have found that there are a lot of people, especially on the rivers, that don't know what a dive flag is. They seem to think of it more as a bullseye than a caution notice. :beer: + :smt102 = :smt075
Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid. -John Wayne
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Muddiver wrote:I have found that there are a lot of people, especially on the rivers, that don't know what a dive flag is. They seem to think of it more as a bullseye than a caution notice. :beer: + :smt102 = :smt075
There are a few offshore too. Like marker buoys, they think "Oooooh look, that must mean we can fish there".
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I have found that if you fly a diver down flag, hang a few fins/mask off the CC and put down the rods when a dive boat approaches, you can avoid the bums rush of a high holing dive boat on small structure.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image