Any way to save this tag?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Any way to save this tag?

Post by Atticus »

Okay I had to remove the tag from my trailer to do some work...

This thing is banged-up and I know it doesn't have long left until it gets left on the road somewhere and I have to pay the tax collector about $1000 for a replacement tag.

Is there anyway to prolong the life of this thing or am I pretty much just waiting for the inevitable?

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Any way to save this tag?

Post by Harmsway »

Electric drill should do a good job :)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Screw it to a piece of starboard and through bolt it to the trailer.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Drill holes either left or right of the originals and mount it off center. It is still legal. Might want to put some paint on the new holes to reduce rust. It looks like it only needs to last another 6 months before renewal time. Then you can ask the DMV for a new one. It won't cost as much as a replacement.
FF
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I like the starboard idea Luke. That sounds like it should hold up to about anything. i screwed (I mean I through bolted) my Georgia tag to the fender of my Cobia trailer. I had the same problem. If the Po-Po don't like that they can kiss my grits. (then I pay the fine)
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

$45 for a replacement tag Luke. I'm sure it can be attache, but if the rusty one looks too beat up may be worth buying a replacement.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Yeah, it doesn't cost as much for a trailer tag than a vehicle.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Mine fell off a few months ago and it's just been riding in the bottom of my boat. Pulled the boat a dozen times and had TPD and LCSO behind me and they never stopped me for not having a tag on the trailer.

Last night I bolted it to the frame of my trailer just below the bunk. It is in much worst shape than yours.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

JUST TELL THEM YA FROM ALA. THEY DO NOT HAVE BOAT TRAILER TAGS OVER THERE. LOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TAG AND YOU WILL FIND 2 MORE HOLES THERE, JUST TURN IT UP-SIDE DOWN AND BOLT HER BACK ON.
SIMPLE SOLUTION, IF THEY STOP YA JUST TELL THEM YA CAN'T SEE IF IT IS UPSIDE DOWN OR NOT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Luke, if you don't happen to have a piece of starboard that will work...stop by Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a piece of 1" or 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock the same length as the plate. Drill new holes in the bar the same pattern as in the lic plate and mount on the back of the plate. Drill new holes in the plate to match the ones in the bar stock and through bolt to the trailer.

If you really want to go primitive and happen to have a piece of 3/8 plywood... cut your self a back plate and use that with a through bolt. That method should do fine until the new ones come out.

This is exactly why I use to carry mine in the boat. However, I eventually got stopped by the patrol in the SM refuge and he indicated that when boat theft is high, any boat/trailer without a plate will be (or should be) stopped and checked.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

two self-tapping screws will do the trick :beer:
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You can do all that, or you can have them prorate your tag and get a new one that will last 18 months.

Mr Futch, Are you serious about Alabama? We kind of have a standing joke as we travel through Albania(inside joke) on our way to Miss about no one putting tags on trailers. It sounds like the joke may be on us. Do they really not need tem?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Post by bbb »

This is what I did to make it last a little longer. Bolted it to the trailer frame. On the license mount it was only about 3-4 inches from the ground and any slope I went drove over would have it scaping on the road. Now its about 6-7 inches off the ground.

Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

GHP has initiated an investigation.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Williamsdad wrote:GHP has initiated an investigation.
:-D :-D Where did his post go. Did he think I was serious? Someone did comment about the gaff and strained neck though.

Is my tag hanging too low? Maybe I'm endangering the turtles, possums, coons and all the other possible roadkill, with it being so close to the pavement.