Beware of St.Marks Channell!!!!!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Skeeter-Bite
Site Sponsor

Beware of St.Marks Channell!!!!!!

Post by Skeeter-Bite »

Went fishing today and I headed out St.Marks,past the birdrack,past the red and green channel markers going toward the SM Buoy. I noticed something was different....It was gone! I rode that way and was looking at my GPS when I saw a 2 foot piece of metal sticking out of the water. The big lighted SM buoy had sunk! I spoke to Sea Tow when I got home and Joel said he was aware of it and had been in contact with the Coast Guard about it but apparently nothing has been done as of yet. He was going to call again,Thank you Joel! So if you are in that area in the daytime but especially at dusk,dawn or night time keep your eyes open because it would be a bad scene if you find it with your hull .........Be safe!
derf

Re: Beware of St.Marks Channell!!!!!!

Post by derf »

How was the catch today. I have been hearing bad reports from peps this year.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Yeah..my dad is in the volunteer coast guard flotilla 12 outta st marks and he told me this last week. Apparently a barge struck the sea buoy a week ago and sunk the dam thing. There is a 2 ft section sticking above the water so everyone beware. If you hit that thing going wide open you would rip a hole in your hull in 2 secconds. He has been in contact with the active US Coast Guard and he said they told him they will be here to fix it in a couple weeks but till then...boaters beware and get the word around..-Tight Lines and Safe Boating....
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Anybody thought about putting a cone or something over to at least mark until they get it fixed?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jollyman

Post by Jollyman »

The CG apparently took a link out of the chain and the top of the buoy was at water level a few weeks ago. Hate to hear the chief cuss a bit.
Skeeter-Bite
Site Sponsor

Post by Skeeter-Bite »

Didn't have any cones with me in the boat when I was fishing Matt or I would have! Hopefully it will get taken care of soon!
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Looks with all the people on Welfare and no Jobs we could hire some give them a flash lite at Night and for day time bright flag to wave we could slove too thing they would have a Job and we would be warned of the steel sticking up
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

In case you haven't noticed ... Obummer and his administration don't give a dang about fishermen. They would as soon your only experience with a fish come from Red Lobster!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
gary z

Post by gary z »

was out the river yesterday and pretty sure buoy # 36? about halfway out the river isnt where it is supposed to be either.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

So the sea bouy is sunk? I wsa out there this weekend but didn't go past the bird tower. I did notice that #36 is way out in the river more that I remember.