Lanark, Dog Island Scallops

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Lanark, Dog Island Scallops

Post by Salty Gator »

The wife and I took Thursday and Friday off of work to host some great friends, for their 10th wedding anniversary at alligator point for a LONG weekend. The boys will be headed out early to the usual spots for reds and trout, but we will need to fill the hot part of the day with something. We will certainly do plenty of swimming and beverage consuming, but may want to try a little scalloping. We wont want to run to st marks or st Joe, so I wondered if anyone was finding them around lanark or dog island. If so what depth. I'll look for the flotilla while fishing, but was hoping for a little inside info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Lanark, Dog Island Scallops

Post by silverking »

Haven't been over there in a couple weeks, but the boats were doing very well around the old Lorenzo's off Hwy 98, near the white condo complex just east of the FSU Marine Lab. Water depth is about 3-6 feet in there.

Probably more around inside Lanark Reef as well but don't know that for a fact.
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Look between Turkey Point and Lanark. They're not thick so you'll be moving around a lot. We got a limit with in sight of the empty condos a couple of weeks ago, it took a while though. We started right off the docks and moved out with the tide.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Dang, that was quick. Thanks silverking and salty tiger for the help. I do appreciate it. I'll post a report if we end up with anything to report. Ps we will be fishing the area for the nfgfc tourney. If anyone wants me to prefish their spots for them let me know. I'll be holding my breath. Thanks again fellas.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

silverking wrote:Haven't been over there in a couple weeks, but the boats were doing very well around the old Lorenzo's off Hwy 98, near the white condo complex just east of the FSU Marine Lab. Water depth is about 3-6 feet in there.

Probably more around inside Lanark Reef as well but don't know that for a fact.
I think silverking means west of the Marine Lab if he is thinking of the old Lorenzo's/white empty condo complex. That is where we had best luck a few weeks ago.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

ACTUALLY :-D it would be South :o if you went west, you would hit land, go East and you go off-shore, go North and you go to Aligator Point :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

, go North and you go to Aligator Point :smt004 :beer:[/quote]

Don't post alot and don't understand the icons used in post, I can only think one of them was a sarcastic emblem. If not that must mean my other north??
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Wevans is correct-ish. Due north from the FSU Marine Lab will take you overland to Crooked River. Due west will take you overland to another part of the crooked River. Due east will take you to Spring Warrior. Due south will take you to the open Gulf of Mexico.
As far as the scallops go, anywhere between Lanark Reef and land in 3-6 feet of water should produce.