Econfina 9/13/11

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Econfina 9/13/11

Post by DixieReb »

Me and my son-in-law Danny went to Icky yesterday for his first trip to the salt. Got there at 12:15 and the morning low tide was still with us. Had to be careful going out but didn't hit anything.We stopped at the mouth to rig up and he casted out and hung what looked like a big flounder, but it got off. Tide was rising by then, went South to 5-6 ft. of good-looking spotty bottom and got into some trout. Must have caught between 15 and 20 and kept 2. Fish were all 14-14.5'' except the 2 15.5'' ones we kept. No big ones but I think Danny is hooked for life. He had a ball out there, we caught all kinds of fish-ladies, catfish, lizardfish, small sea bass, and a bunch of pins that we cut up for bait. Tried for a shark with a cork rig but they wern't playing yesterday. The weather was perfect, just enough wind to keep a good drift going but not so rough you couldn't run. We left about 6 pm and headed back in. He had to work today but said he ought to call out sick so we could go back today. i told him it will only get better after it cools down some more. :smt004
Yours in the South
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina 9/13/11

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the report DR! Sounds like a fun 1/2 day. What were the trout going after? I know the water has cooled down some, you didn't happen to catch a surface temp did ya?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

SR, the fish bit gulp in white and new penney but only with shrimp or cutbait on it. We didn't get a water temp, the depth finder in that boat doesn't have a gauge on it. I'm guessing it's probably low 80's right now, it wasn't very cold when we washed our hands in it.
Yours in the South
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:thumbup: Thanks DR
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tabb

Post by tabb »

Thinking about making a trip down there myself. Report was much appreciated and any other info/reports would be great.
Looking to take my Dad down there for a trip but he can only fish about half a day. The reports really help me decide when to take him and what kind of tide to fish.
salute2
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Water temp was 78º when I was out there saturday. Ended up with limits of trout and reds