Skeptical about kayaks

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RudyH

Skeptical about kayaks

Post by RudyH »

I had a canoe for a long time, then replaced it with a 14 foot aluminum motorboat. I like that motorboat, but I see some value in the kayaks. What are the pros and cons of fishing a kayak?
cotton

Re: Skeptical about kayaks

Post by cotton »

Hi Rudy,
I tell everyone, If you catch 1 redfish out of a kayak, you'll never go back.
I'm one of those guys who can't find any negatives. Here's a few of the pros:

* Cheap, 500 - 2000 dollars will cover you for 5-10 years. Very few repairs and no maintenance. No gas, licensing, tags, etc..
* Ease of use. Throw your kayak in the back of your truck and go fishing. I use to fish once a month from a boat. I fish once a week from my kayak. Lots of kayakers fish several times a week.
* No long lines at the launch or time to prep. All you need is a place adjacent to the water.
* I catch more fish. Mainly because I spend 4 times as much time on the water. Secondly because I can't just pick up and run 5 miles to another spot. I need to catch fish where I"m at.
* Lastly and most important, the folks that fish from kayaks are some of the most amazing folks. They always have time to share with the less experienced. I've never seen a more welcoming group of guys and gals. If you don't believe me, come on over to http://www.fcka.net and see the reception and advice you recieve.

Kayak fishing is not for everyone. But, a lot of folks who try it, never go back to a boat. Speaking of which I have a boat for sale.
RudyH

Post by RudyH »

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think I'll try renting one and see if I like it. Big issue for me is weather to get a small trailer. I think yes because it used to be such a hassle to load my canoe.

Do you have an opinion of the Hobie foot powered models? I saw a video ad while waiting at the airport one day and I thought it was a great idea. Does it work well?
cotton

Post by cotton »

Rudy, I have a Hobie Revolution and love it. Hands free fishing is awesome. Very comparable to having a trolling motor. I would recommend you attend a demo at Wilderness Way prior to making a purchase. The demos give you a chance to try a lot of different kayaks.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Cotton speaks the truth. If you can afford a Hobie with pedals then you should go for it. I have used Kayaks since I was a boy so I bought a sit in Pelican 11.5 about 7 years ago and it still works with no repairs. It is slow (3 hulls for oyster bar resistance) when compared to some of the newer designs, but it is a stable boat for fishing and that is what I bought it for. I rarely paddle more than a mile from any launch so the disadvantages of slow paddling are outweighed by the room and stability I have at anchor in 10 mph wind in 1 to 2 foot seas.
The easier something paddles the more it bounces around and even old hands will get seasick at first.

The biggest con is the same as a motorboat, you have to get back from wherever you go, if you wait too long it is a miserable ride home.

I also have a boat for sale, a 10 foot Alweld.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
RudyH

Post by RudyH »

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. I will definitely check that event where you can try them. I'm going to a place where I can rent, so that will give me some experience with a sit-on type kayak. One of my big concerns is mobility. If I had a pickup truck it would be a no-brainer, but I think I'll want a trailer to go with one if I do get one. They are pretty heavy and I remember having lots of dings on the car back when I was roof-topping an 85 pound canoe.

Do you happen to know if my concerns about roof-topping are unfounded? Thanks again, and good fishing!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I haul one or 2 yacks on top of my Tahoe. Kayaks are pretty light. My wife can load hers on to her 4 runner by herself. You can get a generic roof rack, or a rack especially for yaks. Foam blocks work ok also. Good luck.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Trailers are easier, but then you are pulling a trailer. I put mine on top of a Chevy Cavalier fo r4 years and never had a problem but you do get dings and scratches. I bought a Pickup 3 years and I built racks to carry it on fo r2 years. this is the first year that I carry in the bed with a T extender out the trailer hitch.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."