Kind of in a quandry

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chugbug

Kind of in a quandry

Post by chugbug »

I pretty much abandoned saltwater fishing 3 or 4 years ago. My family just didn't enjoy it. Wife hated it, daughter would rather sleep. With that, I comitted myself to bass fishing. Mostly tournaments, some on the side just for fun. Fast forward to now. I have been divorced, remarried and now have 2 step-children (they're like my own though). These kids are adventurous as is there mother and would try anything at least once. Since bass fishing takes some level of skill with casting, mostly boring to say the least. I figured saltwater (offshore) would be more suitable for their age and activity level. I'm positive they'd love scalloping and eventually scuba diving too. So here I am, with this decision to make. I don't even know if they'll like offshore fishing or if they'll get sea sick or anything like that. So what is a guy to do?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Kind of in a quandry

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Call a good charter captain and give it a shot with the new family. If they like it, you can look at getting your own stuff. They might get seasick and hate it.
Team Jolly Mon
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I used to get seasick. Now, I take a pill. I won't give it up just because of that. I work to fish.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Probably your best bet would be to hire a charter first and see if they like it. If they do, you'll still be money ahead by continuing to charter. You won't have the boat payment, wear & tear to tow it, insurance gas and the other $$ we never really think about when buying a boat.
If offshore isn't their thing, drag the bass boat down to the flats and give that a shot. Or again, charter a guide. That way, you don't have the stress of trying to put them on fish or trying to figure out why a hot spot isn't so hot anymore.

Just my 2 pennies worth anyway.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Bassfishing is skill game the way you do it, and most novices will not enjoy it.

I think off-shore will be a challenge as well. Long rides, expensive, will take an entire day creating conflict with other commitments, lots of clean-up, etc. If you can pull it off though, great!

Take them cork slinging for a day. A couple sharks, cats, rays and trout and they'll be hooked. Keep trips short in the beginnning. Maybe even try somewhere with clear water like SGI or SJB; dolphins, turtle, ray and crab sightings sightings always improve a trip. As trips get longer you'll have a chance to hit near shore structure, do some trolling and see which they enjoy more. You still have bass fishing so don't focus on the fishing here, just make sure everyone has plenty of food, drinks and fun. :thumbup: my .02

FYI- you can rent 20' center counsel from Shell-point or a 'tooner/Carolina skiff from PSJ marina for around a 100 bucks plus gas
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Do they fish or have they ever fished?

Do they like the beach? Not so much the "sun bathing and excitement of being on THE BEACH" but the smell of salt water and all the sea life?

Do they not get car sick on long trips? Do they ride the fast rides at fairs? If so, I doubt they would get sea sick.

I'd start them off inshore first. Give them a good experience. Grow from there.

Good luck.

Nothing better than a good wife except a good fishing wife and lots of little ones cut with the same cookie cutter!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SHOWBOAT wrote:Bassfishing is skill game the way you do it, and most novices will not enjoy it.

I think off-shore will be a challenge as well. Long rides, expensive, will take an entire day creating conflict with other commitments, lots of clean-up, etc. If you can pull it off though, great!

Take them cork slinging for a day. A couple sharks, cats, rays and trout and they'll be hooked. Keep trips short in the beginnning. Maybe even try somewhere with clear water like SGI or SJB; dolphins, turtle, ray and crab sightings sightings always improve a trip. As trips get longer you'll have a chance to hit near shore structure, do some trolling and see which they enjoy more. You still have bass fishing so don't focus on the fishing here, just make sure everyone has plenty of food, drinks and fun. :thumbup: my .02

FYI- you can rent 20' center counsel from Shell-point or a 'tooner/Carolina skiff from PSJ marina for around a 100 bucks plus gas
Spoken like a true lawyer. :lol:

Great advice here. In fact, Showboat is nearly quoting verbatim from an article I wrote awhile back on getting kids hooked on fishing. Just remember moderation and fun and you'll likely win 'em over. By the way, Shields Marina in St. Marks also rents family-friendly pontoon boats at very reasonable rates. Their number is 850-925-6158.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

got me :smt005

Hope to see you Saturday Capt. Dave.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

SHOWBOAT wrote:got me :smt005

Hope to see you Saturday Capt. Dave.
Looks like it. JT needs a ringer, so I've volunteered.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Definitely some things to think about. They LOVE the beach and the outdoors. Swimming, looking for shells etc... They are always wanting to go fishing. It's just that bass fishing gets boring fast and if there isn't any action they can't just hop in the water and look for stuff like they could in the gulf. Might just have to put the ranger in the salt and see how they like it.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

silverking wrote:
SHOWBOAT wrote:Bassfishing is skill game the way you do it, and most novices will not enjoy it.

Spoken like a true lawyer. :lol:

Great advice here. In fact, Showboat is nearly quoting verbatim from an article I wrote awhile back on getting kids hooked on fishing. Just remember moderation and fun and you'll likely win 'em over. By the way, Shields Marina in St. Marks also rents family-friendly pontoon boats at very reasonable rates. Their number is 850-925-6158.
Everyone knows lawyers cannot think for themselves,they present the facts garnered by others.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
rosco

Post by rosco »

With my two stepsons and new wife it was the short trips with excitment that hooked them. Long days seeking trout were no fun for them or me. Trying to find that bar that held reds did not either. Scalloping, SHARKS, and a serious trashfish bite always created more excitement than a over slot trout or red. Think of what they may enjoy and try to put them on it. Also a bimini top is a must warmer periods (summer!!). Good luck!, There is a learning curve!
Залив Апачи
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

chugbug wrote:So what is a guy to do?
Go for it, chugbug! :smt045
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

rosco wrote:With my two stepsons and new wife it was the short trips with excitment that hooked them. Long days seeking trout were no fun for them or me. Trying to find that bar that held reds did not either. Scalloping, SHARKS, and a serious trashfish bite always created more excitement than a over slot trout or red. Think of what they may enjoy and try to put them on it. Also a bimini top is a must warmer periods (summer!!). Good luck!, There is a learning curve!
They don't settle for small. LOL! I can just picture them on a grunt or seabass bite. Plus, they are young enough to help me scrub down a rig. :-D
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Check out Freedom Boat Club. I have no idea as to membership, but it might be worth taking a look. Call the Carrabelle Boat Club and ask for David. He maintains the boats, there.

http://freedomboatclub.com/locations/28-carrabelle-fl