Bilge Pump wiring

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BeachRum1962

Bilge Pump wiring

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Can someone tell me if the diagram on page 23 of this document http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/kingpump ... Manual.pdf is the way to have your bilge pump engage if the float switch is elevated but your battery switch is in the off position? I always thought my pump was wired directly to the battery, even though I have a 3 way switch. So, when I leave my boat in the water, I want to be protected but don't want to leave the battery switch on. I replaced the bilge pump yesterday but wired it the way it was and the pump doesn't engage unless the battery switch is on. I gather I will have to do some wire tracing but can someone explain the correct way to wire through a switch (which is set to auto) but does not require the battery switch on. Thanks.
Last edited by BeachRum1962 on November 14th, 2011, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Bilge Pump wiring

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Linkee no workee
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Try it now
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

If the main power comes from the battery switch then when you cut it off...it is off.

Only way to make it come on is to bypass the battery switch and straight wire it to the battery and put it on auto.

I would wire it to the on-off-on for the manual side and straight wire the float switch with a fuse to the battery.
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Yeah, the problem is I don't now know where the wires go to, I just reinstalled the same way as before. I'm going to have to see how it is currently wired and decide if I want to rewire. Thanks.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

What Chalk said will work.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Ditto
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Chalk wrote:I would wire it to the on-off-on for the manual side and straight wire the float switch with a fuse to the battery.
Can you elaborate on this please? Using the diagram would help too. If I straight wire the float switch with a fuse to the battery's positive terminal what do I do with the wire from the bilge switch to the battery?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

There are two ways to wire this up: with the switch and without the switch. It will work either way. Wiring it with the switch will just give you the safety of having a backup if the float fails while you are in the boat.

Here are diagrams of both. Wire them straight to the battery and make sure you put a fuse on the positive side. Also make sure you cover the splices with something so that the salt can't get at the wires.

With the console switch
Bilge 1.gif
Bilge 1.gif (8.48 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Without the console switch
Bilge2.gif
Bilge2.gif (6.98 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Nice work UGADawg. That first diagram matches the one I posted initially and "I think" how I wired it up. However, I think my bilge pump switch is connected to my battery switch, so the bilge cannot come on unless I leave a battery on. I think what I need to do is to bypass the battery switch and run a wire directly from the bilge switch to the battery. BTW, there is a fuse in the bilge switch, do I also need one inline next to the battery or is that the function of the one in the switch?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

What I said is what UD drawed up 8)
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

Chalk wrote:What I said is what UD drawed up 8)
I agree, now that I can see it graphically. Thanks guys!
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

If it has a fuse in the switch then you will probably be fine without an inline fuse. However, it wont hurt to have the extra fuse.