Jug Island Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I'm not very good at these fishing report things but for the good of the order, I'll give it a shot. Went Friday down to Jug Island at Dekle Beach for what is becoming an annual fishing trip for a gang of us middle-aged types. I think we had 12 people and five boats. Friday we went north around the Spring Warrior area. Some folks hit the shallows with topwaters while the rest drifted the deeper flats with jigs. At the end of the day, we had a decent mixed bag of trout, spanish, reds and one cobia. Folks fishing in 6-8 feet of water did better than those fishing the shallows but a couple of nice 20+ inch trout were caught in the shallows along with a 26+ inch redfish. Broiled the spanish for appetizers and fried up the others for the main course that night.
Saturday we headed south. A couple of us tried the shallows around Fisherman's Rest but we got there too late (too much beer the night before) and didn't do much there so we moved out to deeper water. Drifting the flats off of Big Grassey and Piney Point gave everyone decent catches of trout -- nothing huge but some nice fish. The best catches came in 3-6 feet of water. The deeper water produced fish but they were fewer and smaller. Productive colors on the jigs were chartreuse, pink, white, pink/white, orange, candy corn and electric chicken (no, they weren't too picky about the color). It seemed like using cajun thunders was a little more effective than just a jig but not by much.
Anyway, Saturday night was smoked kingfish dip followed by more fried trout and cold beer. I had to head home Sunday morning so I don't know how the others did on Sunday.
Definitely a great weekend. Beautiful scenery, good fishing and great company. And the cold beer didn't hurt either. I highly recommend renting a place down at Dekle Beach for the weekend. Private ramp, dock, cleaning tables and ice machine and not too busy. Very nice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedMann on 2002-05-07 6:20 pm ]</font>