Power Pro Question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Power Pro Question

Post by GeneO. »

I've run Power Pro on my reels for two years now. This is the first year I've fished down here with it and have a question.

When you run your leader do you run both a floro or mono leader for the weight and hook. I've noticed the weight and rocks really chafe the Power Pro. Mullet made this comment while we were out a few weeks ago and it's really starting to show. I had a super fish while fishing with GS last week and the Power Pro broke which I can only assume was the chafing that caused it. I hate loosing good fish. :smt010 :smt010

I'm thinking of trying from hook up:

Snell the hook.
Sleeve
Bead
Weight
Bead
Swivel

What do you guys do?

Thanks,
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

From main line

weight
sleeve
swivel
sleeve
leader
sleeve
Circle hook

At least thats the setup we used on Amada8's boat, but that was mono. Worked good. Doo not see why it should not to the same with PP. If your using sleeve for the leader, then why a bead? Usually the use for the bead is so the weigt does not hit the knot..
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

That setup is what I'm trying to get away from. With the weight directly on the Power Pro it chafes the line and the rocks do as well.

The bead between the sleeve and the weight is an added layer of protection from a pinch that will result in a break.
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Setup a clacker rig.

Powerpro
Swivel
50lb test mono
weight
swivel
80 lb leader
circle hook.

What's good about this rig is you can rig up the whole thing and keep them stored. This is how Capt. Jay does it. He may add beads on each side of the weight.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Fishin 911

Post by Fishin 911 »

What Tom said....I have been using that rig when using power pro for bottom fishing..it works great. Seems not to get hung up as quick or comes "un hung" easier. If you are snapper fishing or have leader shy fish you could use floro instead of mono.

Having your whole rig pre made and available it cuts down on a lot of time and aggravation....you only have to tie one knot to re rig if you get cut off and lose the whole combination.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I have fished like Tom suggested and it worked great, I think the ckacker was a very popular rig for the older dacron braided line

I just fish 80lb PP with a weight over a bead, knot, swivel, leader, circle hook and have never had a problem with chaffing though so I stick with simplicity

I bottom fished with a guy from work who knows a lot about fishing though and he insisted on the clacker rigs