Talk About Ambulance Chaser!

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Talk About Ambulance Chaser!

Post by CSMarine »

What has our court system come to! :smt011

Dead Teen Sued for Losing Control of Flying Body Parts

December 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM

You might think you've heard it all, until I tell you that an appeals court in Illinois recently ruled that a woman is allowed to sue a dead teen's estate for injuries caused by his flying body parts. The 18-year-old boy was running across the Amtrak tracks to catch another train but didn't make it -- he was hit by an oncoming train going 70 mph and his body was torn apart by the force and flung onto a nearby passengers' waiting platform. The woman, 58, was struck by a sizable chunk of the boy's body and was knocked to the ground, breaking her leg and wrist. The court ruled that the boy's death was "reasonably foreseeable" and that his estate can be held responsible for his negligence.

I'm sorry, but who goes around suing a dead teen whose body was ripped to shreds in one of the most gruesome ways imaginable?

I can't say that my first or even fiftieth instinct after being pummeled to the ground by half of a bloody torso would be to raise my fist in the air and declare that whoever had the nerve to let their body explode and land on me will most certainly pay in court. Even if my leg was shattered, I still can't imagine going after the dead teen's estate.

The family of the deceased has suffered enough -- their son was blasted by a train. It doesn't get much worse than that. And to think that they have to endure a woman nitpicking her way into their bank accounts is disgusting. It's not like this kid had millions -- what is she hoping to gain from this lawsuit?

It won't make her leg any better. I can't imagine it'd help her heal in any way, shape, or form. I don't think a normal person would feel good about suing for injuries caused by a dead teen's flying body parts. Yeah, he did something incredibly stupid, but I think he paid the price. He's dead. His body was blown to bits. No need to drive the point home with what seems like a frivolous, greedy, and hurtful lawsuit.

salute2
Semper Fi
RalphKramden2011

Re: Talk About Ambulance Chaser!

Post by RalphKramden2011 »

With due respect I must suggest you don't understand the current American dream: win the lottery or a large lawsuit. :(
It is a sad day indeed!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

and what about the appeals court that said she could sue, what were they thinking ? I just assume they all have insurance, mabey they are the ones suing on behalf of her. I'm with you CS, seems like a waste of tax payers money. Think I'm headed to Micky D's for some coffie :D
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

CSMarine, your shared article has caused me much mental anquish, suffering, and distress. Later today my lawyers will be serving papers to you expressing my intent to seek damages. :smt011
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

So,........ The 58 year old woman who was minding her own business on a train platform get's pummeled by human body parts to the extent that it breaks her wrist and leg, and she doesn't deserve a settlement? I can't find anything that says how much she sued for, but I think she at least deserves to have her medical bills covered.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

OOOOOOOH, SHE DESIRVES MEDICAL AND AT LEAST 2 MIL. SO HER ATTTORRRNNNNEEEYYYY CAN GET AT LEAST 1 MIL FOR THE 1/2HOUR OF HIS TIME.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

They are probably anticipating that the teen's estate will get a sizeable settlement from the railroad company and they are looking for their part....
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The teen ran in front of the train, no settlement! The teen caused the woman's injuries by his negligent act and she has every right to sue for damages!! I don't like frivolous law suits, but I don't see this as being one "unless she is going for an unreasonable amount of money" :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”