High Maintenance

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

High Maintenance

Post by silverking »

My wife calls my custom Bayshore "the other woman," and that's the nice version. She is definitely a high-maintenance mistress, however. I just recently finished a project that I do every couple years--refinish the teak. Here's what all that entails:

Tape off all the teak trim with blue 3M masking tape. That's four pieces atop the poling platform, the two base mounts for the console rod rack, all the way around the console helm pod, remove the lower pod and all the way around the bow toe rail.

Next, mix two-part Bristol epoxy varnish ($50 a quart) and apply several coats. You can re-apply after about 1+ hours. This last session I added three top coats to smooth out the surface scratches. There are approx. 25 coats underneath. Fortunately, Bristol doesn't require stripping down to bare wood and the multiple layers add a hard lasting finish for protection.

After it has dried for at least several days, I remove the tape and start wet-sanding. The first round is 600 grit paper to smooth out any drips or blemishes. That took approximately 5 hours. The next day I stepped up to 800 grit before finish sanding with 1500 grit. Each step requires sanding every inch of wood to achieve a smooth but cloudy finish. Add another 6 hours labor.

Day 3. With a damp cotton rag and lots of 3M Finesse-It polishing compound ($15 a bottle), it's time to bring out the shine with armstrong power. It's best to do small sections at a time. You keep polishing and rubbing to remove the tiniest of sworls and sand marks. Just when it seems your arms are about to fall off, viola, the shine pops and you have a finish that you can literally see yourself in. Man hours involved= 5 hours.

At last I'm done for another couple seasons, as long as my first mate (Gus the Rottweiler) keeps his paws off the teak and my charter clients mind their tootsies. Did I mention my clients wear those little service booties whenever they come aboard? :lol:

So be thankful if you have an all fiberglass boat or even better, an aluminum hull. You're time ahead. Still, I wouldn't trade my vamp for any amount of elbow grease. We have a love affair that even my wife kinda understands.
IMG_2777.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg (87.81 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: High Maintenance

Post by Gulf Coast »

Sweet, post some more pics !!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Metal is low maintenance.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

That's a lot of work but the beautiful boat you have seems worth it.
The Back Porch
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I would gladly trade maintenance time for fishin time. But that is one sweet looking ride.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Pretty Wood is really hard to ignore... Nice job!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Gulf Coast wrote:Sweet, post some more pics !!
:stupid_1
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

:smt055
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Sir reel wrote:Pretty Wood is really hard to ignore... Nice job!
That's what she told me last night!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:smt011
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Looking good Capt. Dave.

That Bayshore is a neat boat to fish out of. It's 20' long, poles like a nimble flats skiff in a foot of water and runs across Dog Island sound like a big center console.

Plus......chicks dig it. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Looks great, do you keep your boat at alligator harbor marine. There is a similar boat that I always see there. Is that you capt Dave?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I lika da bote!

am thinking I'll add some teak to my G3 :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry, alligator harbor marina.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

No, SG, that's not mine. There were only 52 Bayshores built and three of them are here, including that one at Alligator Pt. and another in Carrabelle. Both of those models are the the Sportsman with slightly deeper V-hulls and the flats cap. Mine is the skiff version with 11 degrees of transom deadrise. It's 20' 3" LOA but floats in 9 inches.

The prototype hull was cold-molded by Jarrett Bay Boatworks, one of the top NC builders. They sold the mold and Bayshore started production in Wrightsville Beach.

It is a great all-around flats/bay boat. It'll handle more than I can take, that's for sure. I got caught one time in six-foot swells in East Pass and felt perfectly safe.

But since it is semi-custom, nothing is ever simple and easy with maintenance or upkeep.