Hot weather tatics for trout

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tod

Hot weather tatics for trout

Post by Tod »

You guys and gals are better at this than I am so here is the question. What are the best tatics for catching trout now that he weather has heated up? I have been fishing 3 to 5 feet with the C/T with pretty good luck up until the last couple of weeks. Should I be doing something different or what?
Tod Browning (AKA Iceman)
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Tod, my experience only now. Deep water tactics are required to be consistant. You might wonder up on a few shallow fish early, but by mid morning, that's usually over.
I go to 8-12 feet. I fish fresh bait mostly (live Pinfish, Mullet, or cut PinFish tail). You can bring Trout up from 10 foot to get a Pinfish on a 3 foot leader, below a Cajun Thunder. The trick is, you don't set it down and let it drag. You have to work it. Pop it ever so often to get the Trout's attention. A lot of time in deep water, two or three Trout will actually congragate around a Pinfish just staring at it. Pop it and they attack. Same with the Pinfish tail, work it like a grub on bottom. Drift it accross the bottom. Don't reel it in though, just jerk it now and then to give it action.
Helped me get two limits Sunday at Keaton, when most everyone else had a tough day fishing spring patterns still.
The biggest problem is, your more prone to rough water fishing deep.
Semper Fi
Tod

Post by Tod »

CS thanks for the information, but a couple more questions. Do you start out in deep water or start shallow and move out at mid morning?
When you are fishing the pinfish tail what type of hook, do you use a led head of something else. The rought water is ok, my boat is better set up for that that the skinny skinny water anyway. Thanks again for the great information.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Tod, I usually do start out shallow. I stop for bait, and I usually work my way out a couple feet at a time. Lately, it still takes five foot of water for the first Trout in the morning.
With the shinner tail I use a 12" Fluorocarbon 40 pound test leader tied to a swivel on one end and a 3/0 Gamakatsu straight shank worm hook on the other. I also use a split shot just below the swivel.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Your only using 12" leader in 5 - 10 feet of water with the shiner tail. :-? Is that enough.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

ds, we're talking bottom fishing the tail. Yes that's plenty to protect most of the time. You are always going to have cut offs with Fluorocarbon. I've been cut off with three foot of carbon line, but 12" is plenty most of the time. Everything I saying is just a starting point. You have to adjust with every situation. (heavier weight, longer leader, smaller hook, etc.)
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Sorry, I was confused.. :hammer:
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

CSMarine, What style and size of hook do you prefer for live pinfish?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

4/0 Gamakatsu Live Bait hook for live Pinfish and Mullet.
Semper Fi
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Thanks
Tod

Post by Tod »

CSMarine, thanks for all the imput. I have learned so much from you guys at this site.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Does anybody have any favorite lures for that deep? Would you want to anchor?
eat_mo_crawfish

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

In hot weather, I find that an extra six pack or two in the cooler helps with the fout trishing.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

eat_mo_crawfish wrote:In hot weather, I find that an extra six pack or two in the cooler helps with the fout trishing.
What he said. :smt023
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

From the city that care forgot. Pipe down, Otis! :wink:

My thoughts exactly. :-D

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!