your chance to laugh at a rookie---TARPON QUESTION

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Psycho Fisher

Post by Psycho Fisher »

Hey fella's.... I have a somewhat silly question, as I think I know the answer, but reading your regulations it's not exactly ~clear~....

Do I or do I NOT need a tarpon tag to simply fish for tarpon (C&R only) in FL.... the only other times I've done it was under the instruction of a guide in his boat(s), and didn't worry about it. I don't think I need one unless I intend to kill it (which I by no means would even consider, as replica mounts look much better anyway hehehe), but would rather ask the locals than find out via citation.

Thanks, and don't mock me too hard! hehehe :razz:
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Psycho:

You don't need a tarpon tag to catch and release a tarpon, just don't linger on the release. You DO need a non-resident salt water fishing license (you are from out of state, right), though.

If you bring a tarpon to the boat, after taking the hook out (don't gaff!) hold him (her) by the lower jaw with a glove and move the fish through the water, either using the current at anchor or by going real slow. When the fish kicks off, lettem go.

Have fun.

EJ
Psycho Fisher

Post by Psycho Fisher »

Thanks EddieJoe.... I never use gaffs (except when on the occasional cod excursion), and will fully recessitate any of these beautiful fish I actually get close enough to touch. I've got my FL license already, just wasn't so sure about the tarpon tag thing.

Thanks! If you're ever heading to the Smokey Mountains or any of the TN tail-waters or free-stones, look me up! :grin: