Used boat good idea or not?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishin2

Post by fishin2 »

Does anyone have any opinions on the older model of (1980) 17ft AquaSport boat. I'm looking at one with an 1980 115 Johnson that's been rebuilt with a 1996 power head that I can get for $2,500. It's been repainted and looks clean. A mechanic owns it and looks like he's done a pretty good job of maintaining everything :???:
fishin2

Post by fishin2 »

On 2002-04-30 20:37, DoubleD wrote:
Food for thought...How long has this mechanic owned the boat? Mechanics get great deals on used cars (and boats) that may not need a whole lot of work to get in good enough shape to sell. Nothing against mechanics.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Fishin:

I have a 1986 17' Aquasport which I have owned since 92, when I bought it used. The boat has been good for a 17, and can be used on the flats, bay, or offshore on a calm day. It came with a 90 horse johnson, which never stranded me on the water but was not built for saltwater. It just rusted and flaked away until I traded the motor for the installation price on the new 115 SWS Yammie. The boat is still in good shape, and with a new motor and trailer is doing just fine for me.

I don't know why the guy would paint the boat, unless it is to cover up poor patch work. That said, if the boat looks OK then you still have a real old motor, and a Johnson at that. Take a test drive and see how she runs. The price seems right, but be aware that the motor could strand you, and then the question will be what will you do.

EJ
DanRichardson

Post by DanRichardson »

My boat is that old and though it may not be perfect it takes me fishing. I say that if you got cash to pay for and its in good shape, then there's nothing wrong with an older boat.
Dan
fishin2

Post by fishin2 »

Thanks for the reponses. I've not been able to get back on site until tonight. I did take it out last weekend and it performed good. The six keeper trout and many lady fish,blue runners and big shark break off that turned the boat full circle before it broke off will testify. Fished out of the light house landing. I've purchashed it now
so we'll see. A repower may be in store before I'm confident on the offsore experience but until then the VHS is close by and no trout, spanish or cobia is safe.
They weren't even with my bass boat attack. Man, it nice to get to everything and be able to walk around when you want to
Thanks again......... :grin: :lol: