Cedar Key

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kirt

Cedar Key

Post by kirt »

I am going to Cedar Key for the first time ever in two weeks. Main thing I wanted to know is if there are alot of rocks and such in the area. I normally only fish from Econfina to Steinhatchee and there is a big difference in those two places. I have found my fair share of rocks and would like to not find any in cedar key. Also any fishing tips would be great but the main thing is tips on avoiding boat trouble while there. I am not one to run close to shore but are you pretty safe in 4 foot of water?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Cedar Key

Post by Steve Stinson »

I don't imagine there are a lot of us who fish that far South. I fished Cedar Key a couple of times from a canoe and did real well on the reds. Traveling toward Cedar Key, I would launch on the Right hand side of the road before I reached the main island, but past Haven's Island. Then paddle to the NW through all the oyster bars.

I can't help you with the rock situation.

Good Luck -
Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't go into Wacasassa Bay if you have a phobia of rocks. Lots of big limestone buggers there similar to the Rock Garden. If you stay out in four-foot depths or deeper you should be OK, although my attorney says navigation advice is in-admissable in court. :lol:

The islands off Cedar Key can be good for trout, some reds and Spanish mackerel.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I fish cedar key regularly, around the inside if you put in at # bridge good red but lots of bars and gets skinny. on the outside around the barrier islands outside Snake key or north key is good fish the bars around north key . you dont have to worry about the island on the outside of cedar key to much unless you get in close and even then there are beaches that you can pull up on. If you like give me call or email at JimSmith.Pushandpull@yahoo.com. Wacassassa river and bay is very different ,best time there is low tide for the first time so you can see what it is like.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

What kind of boat are you taking? If it is a larger boat, you will want to put in at the main ramp. If you are fishing out of something aluminum, then you may want to put in at shell mound. It is closer to the better area, but is too skinny and too many oysters for a fiberglass skiff, although many put in there. Just a little north of shellmound is the preacher hole area. That is a good spot to fish. Good luck, but leave a few, I'm headed there wih friends at the end of march.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry to miss the original question, I don't think rocks are an issue, but watch for oyster bars. The channel is well marked and I've never heard of anyone complaining about rocks, but I will not pay for your lower unit if I'm wrong. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

put in at #4 bridge, I put # but no number earlier. for sure only alum. jon boat at shell mound and then you would need to be careful. use # 4 bridge if you want to fish back country. agin Let me know if I can be of any help. you can get a good fishing update by going to swacaptjimbo4@aol.com. Jimbo and his dad are good friends of mine and also capt. in the cedar key area
kirt

Post by kirt »

I actually saw where you or someone else posted about him on another forum. I shot him an email and he responded promptly with good advice on where to avoid rocks. I dont like fishing new places very much unless going with someone that knows the lay of the land so to speak. I know what I can and cant run in from Steinhatchee to Aucilla but was mainly just wondering how Cedar Key compared to these other areas or totally different.

Thanks
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Any help that I can be, let me know ,Cedar Key is my main fishing hole ,that and to the south to yankeetown