Trolling Motor Mounting Advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jwnoles
Site Sponsor

Trolling Motor Mounting Advice

Post by jwnoles »

Good morning all. I have a Carolina Skiff with the thin fiberglass casting platform on the front. I want to mount my trolling motor but wasn't sure if the fiberglass could handle the torque when the trolling motor is in use. Any of you have any recommendations? Is there a base or something that can be used to reduce the torque on the fiberglass casting deck? I appreciate all of your advice and expertise. JW
JW
<'(((<

2001 Carolina Skiff 1655V
2001 40 HP Yamaha
hmaadd29

Re: Trolling Motor Mounting Advice

Post by hmaadd29 »

Most abuse on a trolling motor comes when not deployed. Traveling or running. If possible most peoplle put a 1/4 " aluminum plate behind the glass for stability. the larger the better.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

This is good advise. You can also back it with King board.
slayer

Post by slayer »

star board or a piece of lexan will stiffen up the mounting area
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I just finished mounting a Minn Kota, On board Charger, Group 31 AGM battery, and Circuit Breaker on and under the deck of my 198 Carolina Skiff. I"d be glad to chat with you if your interested. Just PM me.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Trademark name is King StarBoard.

You can find it at some marine dealers or order on-line at boatoutfitters.com This is a new site, by the way, with hundreds of replacement hardware like hinges, latches, doors, StarBoard, seals, shocks, etc.

Very reasonable prices since the parent company builds thousands of parts for the boating industry and passes the economy of scale on to the web customers. They also build custom tackle centers and have other fishing accessories like cleaning tables, dock boxes, rod holders, etc.

Just wrote about them in my May Boat Talk column in Salt Water Sportsman. Great bookmark for do-it-yourself boat projects.
jwnoles
Site Sponsor

Post by jwnoles »

Thanks a buncgh for all of the responses. It looks as if I have a few more options than I thought. I will research and might get back to a few of yall with more questions. Thanks again! JW
JW
<'(((<

2001 Carolina Skiff 1655V
2001 40 HP Yamaha