A Few Questions

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MuleTrainGA

A Few Questions

Post by MuleTrainGA »

I've been fishing with conventional tackle for a while now and want to step up my game a little bit. I catch alot of trout with spinning reels and what not but I want to try to start fly fishing for trout. Any advice such as line weight, rod weight, lures to use would be greatly appreciated. I've fly fished for bass and bream in freshwater and feel like I've gotten decent at casting. Thanks for any help I get!
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: A Few Questions

Post by Steve Stinson »

Capt. Pat McGriff out of Perry, Fl. has a great quote about fly fishing - "If you ever feel like you're catching too many fish, pick up a flyrod".

That being said, I tried it for a few years and was somewhat successful. Most folks will say use a 7/8 weight rod, but I found a 8/9 better because every time I put one in my boat the wind tended to pick up. I used a weight forward, floating line with a leader that tapered down from about 20lb dia. to 10lb. As far as flies go, I did well on shrimp and minow imitations mostly with tints of purple, chartrues, and tan (not all in the same fly).

I caught trout, spanish, ladyfish, and blues all on a fly and hung a couple reds, but never landed one. I will also say that I found it easier to fly fish from a kayak than my regular boat since I could get closer to the fish without spooking them, and at times get out and wade.

You can sight fish over around Dog Island and St. George when the water is clear, but you need a stealthy boat. I normally fished the creeks and darker water over toward the Aucilla and Econfina. I would find the area the fish were holding in first with conventional spinning tackle, then switch to the flyrod when I knew where they were hanging out. After several trips of watching them refuse the fly, then getting a hit on the first cast with a spinning rod, I began to leave the flyrod at home.

Good Luck -
Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
flflyfisher

Post by flflyfisher »

I both fly fish and use spinning tackle in the salt up here in the big bend. Like already mentioned I will explore new areas with spinning tackle rather than just the fly rod but once I feel I am in an area that may hold fish, I switch to the fly rod. Trout and red fish are very fly friendly game fish. When trout are around, I have the most fun with a white popping bug. They will also hit dupre spoons, clousers and gummy minnows.

Reds will aggressively take small dupre spoons and clouser patterns. When sight fishing, small crab patterns are very effective. The key with a fly rod in these waters is to keep the fly where you want it to be. That means that when the water is more than 2.5 ft. deep, and you want the fly on the bottom, use a sinking line. Otherwise, you will need a very long leader that will be more difficult to cast. Poppers, of course, should be cast on a floating line. An 8 wt. rod is the best all around for trout and reds.

I prefer catching them on the fly any day over using gulp but some days that works best. Some days the fly will outcatch other tackle.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

When I tried to get a life long fishing buddy to try my fly rod he told me that while "I may have caught all the fish I ever wanted to catch and was happy to fish with one arm tied behind my back........he had not". :)

Often times when I stand there with the fly line wrapped around my feet and every other tiny obstruction within 10 feet, I think to myself.......so.....this is why they invented a reel to hold your line while you cast. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

do not listen to the BS go for it 1 fish on fly is better 10 on spinning tackle :thumbup: :
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

I just started fly fishing a few years back and have a lot to learn, but this is what I've learned so far:
8wt is better in the wind, but if you're doing a lot of blind casting (which I do), a nice light 7wt like the TFO BVK (Kevins has these) is easier on the arm. Ross CLA or Lamson Guru are great reels for the price but you could go cheaper if its just trout and slot reds. A lightly weighted clouser in chart/white, pink/white, burnt orange/brown (for reds), seaducers in similar colors, schminnows (great pattern for macks and ladyfish) in white, Gartside gurgler for topwater will catch most anything around here, although there are many patterns that will work, especially for sight casting.

I wade and blind cast likely areas, so someone who sight fishes from a boat will have a different opinion.

Fly fishing seems like a waste of time until you catch that first fish - you feel the strike in your fingers because you're holding the line; then the first strong fish you put on the reel will really get you.

Keep this in mind when starting out: Catching a fish on the fly is like a dog walking on its hind legs - its not important that its being done well, but that its being done at all.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Sure FHC,
You almost got the sying right. Except in a world like mine where we eat fish three to four times a week. The saying goes "10 fish caught on conventional tackle in the ice chest is better than one caught on a fly rod."
I've did my share of both, and I'll stick to my bait caster or spinning reels. A lot easier on my ole arthritic hands and arms ater ten hours on the water.

salute2
Semper Fi
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm planning on bringing the fly rod with me on trips and once I start catching the fish maybe I'll throw it out and see if I can't catch a couple. Im big on eating fish at least two times a week and I dont want to sacrifice not catching anything but also I know the thrill of catching nice fish on a fly rod. One day maybe Ill be good enough to go out and catch a limit of trout on my Fly rod only.... 8)
Trevor Moncrief
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

It all depends on why you fish. Some people fish for meat and some for the fun sport of it.

Get you a nice light 8wt. Like above the bvk is nice. I've got one and it's cheap and easy to cast. Floating line chartreuse or tan clousers and you are set. Trout and redfish love them.
MuleTrainGA

Post by MuleTrainGA »

I love the sport of fishing and even if I couldn't keep the fish I would still like to go. However since I can I don't want to go all in with a fly and come out with nothing. I'd rather just take both and see what that fly will do once I find the fish.
Trevor Moncrief