Site Update, Wants and Needs?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kikstand454

Re: Site Update, Wants and Needs?

Post by kikstand454 »

I personally will be tickled purple and pink with polka dots if you get the site on tapatalk.
I use it for 90% of. My forum posting and I sometimes feel bad that I'm not on here as much because of it.
:thumbup:

Edit:
I may also finally be able to update that old avatar pic as I have no means of doing so now.
Lol.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Flint River Pirate wrote:Stickers please Barry, that's all I ask! :-)
Yes and now I need some 2 stickers, I got (my boy) a new jon boat thats needs to be tricked out !! :-D
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

Barry, Love the site, only suggestion is when you place mouse on topic for post, you get first few lines of the post displayed. This allows user to see if they really want to open that post or go to next one. I see this on many other forums, not sure how it's accomplished, but is a nice feature.

Thanks for all you do!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I get on this site daily and love it. Only thing I can think of would be a easy picture attachment. :-D I like Charley p's Idea too like the GON site does. I also think it would be great if the mods see a pic that would be good on the front page, to put it there.
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

I just renewed Barry
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I just want ta post some of the pics that Tom wouldn't let me :-D :smt004 :beer:

PS: This is the ONLY fishing site that I go to any more :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It is the ONLY ONE you are allowed to go to anymore.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I was thinking that very same thing JT ! :-D
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Another vote for mobile app. There seems to be a lot of areas that don't get a lot of attention or have outdated information. The "Articles" section has the most recent addition in 2007, The "Area Charts" are a little hard to read. Other than that I am with most folks about changing the "Weekly" photo a little more often.
I am very happy with the advertising response. The return on investment is worth while.
All in all I am quite happy with the site.
Thank you for soliciting our input Barry.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I'd like to see fishing, boating, OT, and for sale grouped in order as I go to them most and by the numbers of posts it looks like most folks do. I'm not too sure a political section would be good. I watched FS go to crap after politics and personal attacks and sniping got to be prevalent.
I appreciate this site for the good and fast information I get, especially when I have questions on working on my boat. Great bunch of guys and an excellent site.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Can we get a realtor only sub forum so for those of us that work really hard don't have to read awesome fishing posts of how realtors fish Monday-Friday?? :-D :-D
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Lots of good suggestions already, but how about a note of what merchandise is available, I can only remember the stickers (have one on the truck ).
If stickers is all there is, how about a few other fund raising items.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

A page listing all business and retail sponsors with clickable links.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Very happy with the way it is, but always open to change as long as it don't get too complicated for some of us who can barely turn a puter on without messing it up. :roll: Don't know if it's here already, and I just can't find it, but spell check would be nice.
Sorry Barry, but I've tried a few times to send you money electronically, but it keeps telling me no, because it keeps saying I have an excisting PayPal account, I can't log into PayPal correctly, and it won't let me make a payment straight from my debit card for that reason. Just have to send you a check by "Snail Mail"
Thanks for keeping us open. :thumbup:

salute2
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Hey there Boss Man, I want to say Thanks for stepping up and grab’n the helm for the forum.
As to your request for some suggestions/feedback from the users, here’s mine. Some have obviously been mentioned previously so just consider them as a "ME TOO":

1. My most used section of the forum is the “Latest Discussion Threads”, on the Home Page. Without question that’s where I go first. If I don’t see a specific topic then I drop to the bottom and click the “View All New Posts” to catch up quick. Those two are the most valuable to me and I appreciate them being on the Home Page.
2. The next service that I use the most is the “Weather and Tides” I go there each time I plan on going out. In addition, and although I don’t use them as much anymore, the “Local Charts” are important to new forum users and should be maintained and perhaps even expanded.
3. I would like to see the ability to calculate the size of a fish based on the length and girth to remain.
4. The “License Link” is a good feature but needs to be updated so it takes the user to the appropriate FWC site initially.
5. The “Articles” could be eliminated as far as my usage.
6. The PM and Email through the forum is VERY useful. I don’t see a need for change. I also like the feature that allows me to click on a name and see their profile or send them a PM or Email. In addition, the ability to "search a users posts" has really come in handy on several ocassions and I would like to see it remain.
7. I would like to see a link to a "new page" for just the Advertisers/Site Sponsors. In addition, I would suggest that you change just the individual supporters to “Member Supporter” to differentiate between service providers who purchase banner ads and individuals who contribute. There have been occasions in the past when I would browse the forum, trying to hit a page where the banner or add would pop up for a specific service or advertiser, so I could get some quick contact info.
8. After the “Discussion” link on the left side of the home page, the links for Reports, Tips & Tricks, and Feedback could be eliminated since they all take you to the Discussion page anyway, where those categories are found.
9. Barry, realistically, I don’t see any “glaring” need for a major change. Most of the comments I have, really aren’t significant in nature, but if they help then fine. What I’m saying is that Tom and those who have assisted him have created a wonderful site and they maintained it consistently. Someone else mentioned that care needs to be taken when you start changing colors, fonts, general organization, etc. I’ve seen other sites go through an update process and take something that is good and really mess it up. Readability and logical flow through the site is the most important to me.

10. Finally, I would vote NO for any category dedicated to Political Discussions. If JT or Wevans wants to share their political views, they can invite me to their house for dinner and I’ll provide them with an evening of attentive consideration.

11. Thanks again for what your doing for the forum and the opportunity for giving you my comments.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".