New member and thinking St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

New member and thinking St. Marks

Post by Badbagger »

New to the board and moving over from the freshwater side. The wife and I fish out of a 1966 G3 center console and we are thinking of heading out to St. Marks to the lighthouse in a week or so to try out luck. I've fished out there once a few years back and took home a few Trout. Any suggestions as for bait, best times and the like ? I'm thinking some Berkley Gulp Shrimp.. 3" or 4" ? Any and all input is more than welcome and hoping for some suggestions from the experienced. What else can we expect to find out there ? We live just outside of Tally.

Thanks !!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: New member and thinking St. Marks

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Eighteen inch leader under a Cajun Thunder with a Slayer jighead and your 3 inch GULP.
Fish this in 3 to 6 feet of water.
Straight jighead and GULP in 4 to 8 feet of water.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Eighteen inch leader under a Cajun Thunder with a Slayer jighead and your 3 inch GULP.
Fish this in 3 to 6 feet of water.
Straight jighead and GULP in 4 to 8 feet of water.
Be prepared for catfish, lots and lots of catfish, plus pinners, sea robins, lizardfish, pufferfish, toadfish... And catfish, did I mention them? :lol:
bman

Post by bman »

Silverking is a nogulp nolivebait purist.
But the rest of us like to catch fish any way we can...

Gulp will work great. Try nuclear chicken!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE HAD OUR BEST LUCK JUST USING GLUP SHRIMP IN NATURAL ON 1/8TH OZ. RED JIG. JUST SWIM THEM AS LOW AS YOU CAN WITHOUT HANGING ANY GRASS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

WE HAD OUR BEST LUCK JUST USING GLUP SHRIMP IN NATURAL ON 1/8TH OZ. RED JIG. JUST SWIM THEM AS LOW AS YOU CAN WITHOUT HANGING ANY GRASS.
We did the same thing, but used White and Sugar and Spice Gulps. As the surface water temperature hits around 81-82, move from 3.5'-4' to to deeper water 5-7 feed and bounce the jig on the retrieve just above the grass. Work the sandy patches. Fish the rising tide. No cork, straight jig. :)
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for the input, very much appreciated and tight lines.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Don't forget......

When you get there in the morning.....and throught the day if its cloudy..... throw your favorite topwater till your arm falls off in 1~5ft of water
Top dog/ pup, skitterwalk, zara spook, chug bug, etc..... whatever you like, throw it.
That's where you're biggest trout are going to come from.

Good luck!
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks. Haven't been there as noted in a long while. Before the ramp work was done and it wasn't pleasant. How is the new ramp anyway ? Last I remembered it was a quick steep drop off and back then I had a 16' G3. Now, a much bigger boat.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Badbagger, if you didn't like the ramp at the lighthouse before, you won't like it any better now, especially with a bigger boat. I like it, though; pretty wide. But shallow, bigger boats have a hard time coming or going when tide is low. I'm betting you will like the ramp at the fort the best.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.