Lake Munson?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

J Holden

Lake Munson?

Post by J Holden »

I haven't fished Munson in a few years, anyone fished it in the last couple months? There used to be some monsters in there, don't know if they all died in the drawdown or not. Went down to the ramp the other day and it looked like there was some water back in there, enough to fish anyway.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Munson?

Post by tin can »

FWC shocked munson before they drew it down and moved a bunch of fish to Piney Z. I'm sure they didn't get them all, but the lake was dry. It'll take some time for the fish to come back.
What was I supposed to do today?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I STOPPED IN MUNSUN TO GET THE SALT OFF MY TRAILER, BOAT ETC. , THERE WAS ENOUGH WATER TO LAUNCH AT THE NEW RAMP BUT THE LAKE LOOKED LIKE A COW PASTURE WITH ALL THE WEEDS AND GRASS OUT THERE. THERE WAS A SIGN THAT NO FISH SHOULD BE EATEN OR TAKEN FROM THE LAKE DUE TO POLUTION, IT WAS ALMOST FADED OUT BUT COULD STILL READ IT. I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT IS STILL IN EFFECT OR NOT. THE ACID OF THE LAKE CLEANED MY TRAILER, BOAT AND MOTOR REALLY GOOD, ALL I HAD TO DO WHEN I GOT HOME WAS TO WASH THE ACID OFF WITH PRESSURE WASHER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I have fished lake munson 6 times in the last three months. It is right near my home and me and the family take our kayaks on it.
It is beautiful and healthy, with tons of bird life including a nesting pair of eagles and ospreys. The water is almost full pool but is starting to fall.
There are enough shad in there to feed a small country.

UNFORTUNATELY, I have caught one small bass in those 6 trips. I have seen no bass activity what so ever.
When they shocked the double digits out of there, the ones that stayed have either died off...or are so dispersed that its really hard to get a bead on what they are doing. I saw no beds during season. I have seen not one single bass hanging in the weeds and shallows while paddling around. *shrug* they're just too dispersed. If the lake can stay full of water, it will make an awesome comeback next spring.

There WERE bream beds and crappie activity the last time I went..... but again.....not a lot.
I'm keeping an eye on the old lake.....I've caught some monster bass outta there and now that I'm in the plastic navy....hope to be able to really get into them there in the future.

In summary....lol.... munson right now is a great place to cruise around and enjoy the wildlife and fish.
Not such a great place on the "catching" side of things.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Well that's a shame, at least it will more than likely produce well within the next couple of years. I seem to remember them saying there was something like 8 solid feet of muck on the bottom in places, that's never good for a lake.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

*shrug*

I didn't think it was that bad......

They had it bdry for a while.....and then brought it back up a few years ago......and the lake seemed like it was thriving.
There WAS a lot of vegetation though....like small trees and stuff that made navigation a pain......but I thin the most recent drawdown had to do with apple snails.
Not %100 on that but it seems to me that's what it was...
In anycase they did a double whammy and not only drew the lake down and shocked the biggest spwaning fish out of it....but then they left it drawn down through bedding season. This left what bass were left very few places to spawn....and easy pickings for people and predators.

It'll be back though....I have faith.
It seems very very healthy right now....
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

The last draw down was to replace the old Dam. Haven't been down there to see if they actually did...
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

RiverRunner wrote:The last draw down was to replace the old Dam. Haven't been down there to see if they actually did...

Yeah.... I think they drew it down originally for an environmental reason.....and they noticed the dam was failing.
They have done a lot of work on the dam...... they have taken the old mechanical iron gates off it and replaced a lot of the walkway and sides. I guess its more like a full on renovation.
They have that entire area closed off on land, which is keeping the majority of bank fishermen away.