Great evening at Piney Z

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

J Holden

Great evening at Piney Z

Post by J Holden »

Got out to Piney Z about 1745 and left after two and a half hours or so, the conditions were perfect for a spinnerbait- super windy, stained water and overcast skies. The fish were going nuts hitting bait, probably could have cleaned up on topwater if I had brought any. Threw a 1/2 oz white spinnerbait with a big Colorado blade and had the best trip I've ever had at Piney-Z. Landed 4 bass, the largest of which was around 20'' and 5lbs. Had two more throw the hook before I got them in, one of which looked bigger than the 5lber I landed. Had another 3 or 4 solid hits that I missed including one that literally took the rod out of my hand, might have been a big mudfish. Caught 2 off the very end of finger 5 and then walked all the way down to the dike that bisects the lake in half and walked down the side of it almost all the way to the cypress trees. There is a "channel" 3-4 feet deep that runs directly along the side of the dike and most of the rest of my fish came from casting parallel to the dike down the shore and to submerged bushes and branches along it. Got cut short because there was a gator every bit of 8 feet that wasn't moving from his spot on the edge to let me pass. Threw sticks at him, yelled and he wouldn't move for nothing. I guarantee people are feeding them out there because they are much more ballsy than they should be. Narrowly avoided a rather large moccasin and several softball sized wasp nests.

This type of bank fishing isn't for the faint of heart :-D Soon as I can coordinate with a buddy to help me launch I can't wait to take my john boat out there and fish it properly.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Re: Great evening at Piney Z

Post by Dockwilson »

Great report. Sounds like fun. I caught my largest bass ever at Piney Z many years ago, before it was developed. 8+ lbs.
:thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Fished a lot of days of high school there... that trench along the dike produced a lot of 10lb bass!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Went out again this evening from 1730 to 2000ish with a buddy and the johnboat. Bite picked up a bit later when we got some cloud cover. Each of us boated around 4 fish and had a few throw the hook. My best fish was probably a little over 4lb and between us the rest were in the 2-3lb range and one dink. I tried a buzzbait for a while and may as well have been throwing it in a bathtub, zilch. All of our fish were caught on a white colorado blade spinnerbait. He tried a soft plastic craw and a few other things and they wouldn't touch it. Less than 6'' of visibility, think the vibration helps them hone in on it. All in all a fun evening, although it SERIOUSLY sucks to have to hand tote 250lbs of johnboat and gear 50 yards down to the ramp and then sink down to your knees in muck to launch. And then have to do it all over again, except uphill on the way back. It pisses me off that they keep that gate closed to prevent you from backing down. Oh well, such is life. Think we'll be taking kayaks in the future though :-D
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

You have renewed my hope J. I stopped taking the Pelican out there because the water level out there looked ridiculously low. Are the cuts in the dike deep enough to get though, last I checked they looked really shallow. AWESOME and uplifting report! :beer: :beer:
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Most of the cuts to the other side of the dike I saw were dry or only had a couple inches of water at best over them, you'd have to drag your boat through by hand I'd think. Be worth it though, if there's any water to speak of around that cypress stand there oughta be some fish in it. I'm sorely tempted to buy a dozen of the biggest shiners I can get my hands on, sneak out there at midnight and let em swim around those brush piles and cypress stands.