Mexico Beach Offshore trip

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Mexico Beach Offshore trip

Post by zload »

Took my 196 Bay Reef over to MB this past week with a couple of friends to try out the Kingfish trolling and some bottom fishing. NOAA missed the boat big time as we had to keep it around 16 knts to get out to the deeper reefs/wrecks without knocking our teeth out, once we got out there it got pretty calm. Ended up doing some bottom fishing in about 100' approx 20 miles out. First time that far out or that deep but had a buddy boat and plenty of safety gear including a SPOT which I used to send the wives a "We're OK"message several times during the day as well as a PLB. The trip out was rough due to some larger swells, our buddy boat was a 24' CC and he couldn't run much faster than I could. We got on some serious AJs and I now know why they are called reef donkeys! We limited out on AJs and kings the first full day. The second day the AJ bite was slower and we eventually caught our limit using top water plugs, we would pop them and get three or four fish chasing them and then hook up. We broke off a lot on the topwater using 80# fluoro and even wire. We finally caught our limit by making sure we were clear of the reef and backing off the drag and letting them run a little, last one came when my buddy got aggravated with them chasing right up to the boat and ran the plug in a figure 8 right at the boat, the AJ nailed it with about 3' of line out and when I gaffed him the plug fell out of his mouth with one of the trebles bent almost straight. I also hooked up on a smoker king, he pulled about 300 yards on me in about a minute and tail danced 3 - 4 times and then came unbuttoned. My buddy who has fished the area a lot said it was the biggest king he had ever seen over there. We got checked by the FWC out about 20 miles, 3 officers on board, they dropped one off on my boat, one on my buddies boat and one stayed with their boat. Very quick and professional. The officer on our boat checked our coolers for fish and pointed out that there wasn't much need to measure the AJs as we had two in the 120 qt cooler with tails sticking out of both sides :) I got the impression they were looking for grouper/snapper as they didn't check licenses or safety equipment just the coolers. Also got checked at the city ramp, officer came driving in as we pulled into the ramp and got out with his rule stick, climbed up in the boat while we had it on the trailer and opened up the live well which I used as a fish box given that the AJs didn't fit in the cooler. He opened the lid and climbed back out of the boat after he saw our AJs. I have to say the Mexico Beach Artifical Reef Association is a top quality group. They have a detailed list of all of their reefs on the net and publish tons of info. Everything we fished was a public number. Gave the Garmin 740s a good workout looking at all the structure and got some precision boat handling in trying to troll right over the reefs while taking water over the bow as we wallowed around in the closein swells! Also tried out the Spotlock on my MK trolling motor and it held us right on the wreck even in pretty good waves/current, for some reason the Talon didn't seem to help all that much in 100' of water :lol: Picture is a litle small due to being taken on a cell from the other boat but this was my first AJ hookup in a 100'. I changed over to a heavier rod I picked up Crums on the way over since the one in the picture almost doubled over with the AJ. Caught the AJs on he bottom with live pin fish, on the top with Rapala plugs and the kings and spanish on dusters and cigar minnows. Also picked up a couple of dolphin trolling around some matted weed.
Attachments
AJ2.jpg
AJ2.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
fly n fish

Re: Mexico Beach Offshore trip

Post by fly n fish »

Great report! My back hurts and my arms are sore after reading it. Thursday FWC must have had a state-wide training day at St Marks. Looked like an invasion force but none ever checked me.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Bigger is better.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

Got my addiction to offshore fishing there a few years ago myself, so be careful! Rode out a storm the size of Katrina with my 10 year old son in my 22 ft bay boat, then caught a couple of mahis, a triple tail and a large king. Been hooked ever since.

Nice report.

nuts
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

Am I reading this correctly that FWC checked you in Federal waters.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Correct on the FWC in Federal waters. My understanding is they have Federal authority courtesy of NOAA along with lots of federal funding that comes with it. Not sure if that is why they only checked the coolers vs. license/safety equipment or if they just picked up on the fact we were not concerned about them being on the boat. They were just doing their job and we had nothing to hide so no big deal. I was a little disappointed I didn't get to pull out the ditch bag with all the extra stuff I have but I'm sure it will happen eventually.
2008 Yamaha 150
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

I ran this by my son that's at the Police Academy and trying to go to work for FWC and said this subject came up and the answer was no. He is checking with the FWC instructor for the straight answer. Will post it when he tells me.
LuckySOB
Site Sponsor

Post by LuckySOB »

We got checked 30 miles off last week out of Mexico Beach. Nice report!
No matter what, it's a good day.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

@Arclight:

"NOAA Fisheries' Office of Law Enforcement, through numerous joint enforcement agreements, has federally deputized fish-and-wildlife and environmental law enforcement officers in 23 coastal states and territories, including Florida, to enforce federal fisheries regulations."
The above statement was made in an FWC news release about an investigation.

It is located at http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/201 ... erel-bust/
2008 Yamaha 150
Arclight

Post by Arclight »

zload - thanks for finding that.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

No problem, I had read about it all over the place but had never seen it in an official document so after your comment I got curious and started searching. Also thinking that if I had imagined it was FWC and it was the Coast Guard I was in serious trouble and didn't know it!

Make sure your son knows that while the teacher is not always right... they are always the teacher :D
2008 Yamaha 150