Sun Protection article

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Sun Protection article

Post by silverking »

The June issue of Salt Water Sportsman is hitting the newsstands with my Boat Talk column on sun protection. It features Tallahassee's own Dr. Pam Kennedy (BBF site sponsor) as my source. Dr. Kennedy offers some great tips on how and why to protect yourself from the damaging effects of the sun while on the water. She was ably assisted by her man servant, Big Bend Gyrene. :wink: Thanks to both for their help in getting the word out! This issue also has my feature on light-tackle tricks for Destin red snapper.

On a related note, I found a super buy and some great sunblock at Costco. It's the best I've ever used and I've tried a bunch (I burn easily).

It's the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock in SPF 55. Doesn't feel greasy at all, it's waterproof and offers serious protection. For a little more than $13, you get two 3.0 FL oz tubes, plus two 1.0 FL oz travel tubes in a blister pack. That's basically what you'd pay for one standard tube at most other retailers.

Have fun in the sun this summer, but learn not to burn. :thumbup:
379299_4112052315112_366931227_n.jpg
379299_4112052315112_366931227_n.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 3551 times
kikstand454

Re: Sun Protection article

Post by kikstand454 »

Not in anyway trying to hijack your thread silverking, but I wonder if everyone could list their favorite sun protection....sunscreen,hats, clothing, GLOVES (I'm in the market for some)...etc.
And why. They like them.
Sun protection should be WAY up on all our lists of priorities.

Look forward to replies, and your article SK.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

No worries. The whole idea is awareness and protection, so I'll get it started.

I'm now using the Neutrogena block mentioned above and I put it on in the morning before I ever leave the house. That way it absorbs into the skin and I don't have a residue on my hands when handling lures and flies. On a typical charter, I'm in the sun for 10+ hours between start to boat clean-up.

I wear a ballcap when running the boat, but when I'm anchored or poling I usually switch to a Tilly broad-brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face. Usually wear a Buff to protect my neck (although I don't go full face Al Qaeda). Columbia shirts and shorts with SPF fabric. And I never go on the water without my Costa del Mar sunglasses. Not only do they protect my eyes from the harmful glare and help me see the fish, they have also saved my eyeballs several times from errant casts by clients.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Ditto on the Tilley Hat and Costas. I like the Columbia long sleeve shirts, but when I am kayaking or throwing my cast net I have switched to a Simms long sleeve wicking T shirt. Hawaiian Tropic 50 or Banana Boat Sundown on my hands face ears and feet before I get on the boat. I have to endure the occasional snide comment about my "beach attire", but you can stay out all day.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have several different tilley style hats but I always seem to go back to a cheap straw hat when fishing. IMO they are much cooler and you can get them for about $10. Thanks for the sunscreen tip on the nutragena. I will have to give it a try. Been using coppertone sport but it is not that sweatproof and it burns the eyes pretty good.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Great post, thank you!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I use the Aveeno 55 or 70, whichever the bride buys, long sleeve Columbia guide shirts or something similar, board shorts, ball cap & Costas.
I keep a Buff on the boat and during the summer, I'll throw it in the cooler for a little while. Keeps you nice and cool.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Speaking as the Doc's man servant ( :lol: ), #1 tip I can share with folks is DO NOT WAIT until you are on the boat, the sun has come up, and you get hot to remember to apply sunblock. That's a sure-fire way to get burned / suffer cumulative damage. Add the application of sunblock to your morning PRE-LAUNCH prep list. Use the "Wow, it's sure bright & hotter than Hades!" thought to serve as a RE-APPLICATION reminder.

For the young folks, don't think "I'll worry about it when I get older"... actually see some of you in your reports wearing protective gear now and think it's awesome. :thumbup: The damage you suffer as a young person won't likely be visible/fully manifest into precancers and cancers until later in life but the damage IS taking place and adding up. We have a scan we do free for patients that shows non-visible UV damage and it's unreal what we see in some patients under the age of 30. :smt010 Talk to some of us older folks on the board, and you'll QUICKLY appreciate that the exposure you may take lightly now means future run-ins with really sharp knife blades and lots of resulting scars. :smt009

Couple of sunblocks I'll add to the list are Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby 60 SPF and Aveeno Baby Natural Mineral block. Both are mineral based blocks containing zinc & titanium and don't use as many filler chemicals as chemical based sunscreens do. Just FYI, and the article covers this, but chemical based blocks work by capturing the rays and converting the UV energy to heat... not the exact process you're wanting to have happen when fishing stifling days here in the summer... another reason we like mineral blocks.

Really do encourage folks to read the article... Doc and I both are EXTREMELY thankful to Silverking for the venue to educate folks on sun-protection and if you read the article think you'll find Doc covers some detailed aspects of sun-protection that you might not find in other articles. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

I am one of those that is just over 30 and used to spend every weekend out in the sun and rarely ever put on sunscreen. I would burn the first couple of times out and then I would think that I was getting tan. Now I have 2 spots that I had to get cut off. One place is on my shoulder and about 3x1 inches and the other is on my lower back about 2x1 I think.

I now wear Columbia or Reel Legends shirts when I fish with a hat and the ol' Costas. The best thing that I have learned in the past 3-4 years is that if I take 5 minutes at the house and put the sunscreen on before I leave if stays on a lot better and longer. I will get very little sun over the course of 6-8 hours. I see the Neutrogena stuff at Costco all the time. I may have to break down and get some. I have been using Banana Boat and like it but am always looking for better.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I only buy SPF rated L/S shirts, most are Columbia and I really like the technical wicking tee shirt style that is out now, they are cheaper than the long sleeve button ups and as noted above cooler IMHO. I have long had a floppy Columbia hat but didn't like the floppy brim. Just recently purchased a Tilley with a coupon from Strikezone over in Jacksonville and I really like it a lot . Very cool and the snap up sides are nice if you want that look. The best thing I found with it is IF you use their front and back straps it WILL NOT blow off even when running WOT, yet is still comfortable.

BBG since you are in tight with the Doc maybe you can ask if the clothing that is sold as SPF rated really is more protective than the average cotton shirt. I am somewhat suspicious that it is all a marketing ploy as I don't recall ever getting a burn through a plain old shirt but after sitting in a surgical room this spring and getting 3 hours (and $11,000) worth of introduction to the Mohs surgical treatment process I'm not taking any chances, fortunately it was basal not melanoma, probably going to do semi-annual trips now.

Sams also had the bulk pack of the Neutrogena stuff and I have learned to keep the small travel size in my pocket when on the boat, if the tube is in the console I never reapply but if I have it on me I usually do, and I always put it on before I leave home. Good post and article Silverking!

Forgot the buff and I also have some Simms sun gloves but haven't gotten into wearing them all the time yet. All kinds of sunglasses but keep trying ones that have the readers... those hook eyes keep getting smaller... I hate getting old!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

When I was a teenager I worked at a redneck country club (lake instead of golf course) called Chickasaw. I usually just wore shorts and shoes. Same for my fishing and water skiing every weekend. I was in my late 20's before I got serious about sunscreen, proper hats/clothing, and Costas.
In my 40's I've had 5 spots taken off that were suspicious but OK and one that was on my scalp that I let go too long. It was Basal Cell Carcinoma. I had to have actual surgery in the hospital. They removed a flap of skin that was shaped like a football and probably 1.5" by 2". They had to go between the surrounding skin and actually pull it away from my skull to be able to stretch the skin far enough to sew up the hole. Fortunately they got it all and it hadn't spread.
Big Lots has the Aveeno sunscreen for $2 to $4 a bottle right now too. We just stocked up. The Coppertone Sport I usually use burns my eyes and something in Banana Boat swells me up and makes me look red and splotchy.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Zload, like so many things nowadays the SPF ratings by manufacturers should be weighed with trust you have in the company/supplier. While the government IS pushing tighter regulations on SPF claims (article speaks to this), enactment is not yet fully in place and probably find cheap 3rd world rip-offs on ebay selling SPF items strictly as rip-off marketing. Reputable sporting good sellers are growing more careful to have protection proven and to move towards meeting stronger regulations.

Make no mistake about it, all clothing is NOT created equal. Wet, white cotton t-shirt offers very little protection and you CAN EASILY get burned through one. Darker colors tend to offer better protection with the trade off of getting hot... tightness of weave is also a factor... if clothing has larger weave and sunlight gets through it, more damage will result. That's why many items sold as protective clothing have vents built in - tight weave so need vents to have air circulation. I actually prefer the long sleeved technical t-style shirts myself... just choose ones with a bit of color and without the loosest weave pattern. And for what it's worth, Doc recommends patients see clothes in general as a preference OVER sunscreens as there are so many variables associated with sunscreen effectiveness (washing off, ingredients breaking down, etc). Folks should think of sunscreen as the final method of defense in a list of items (clothes, shade, etc), and not as a lone tool to fight exposure. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

big bend gyrene wrote:Zload, like so many things nowadays the SPF ratings by manufacturers should be weighed with trust you have in the company/supplier. While the government IS pushing tighter regulations on SPF claims (article speaks to this), enactment is not yet fully in place and probably find cheap 3rd world rip-offs on ebay selling SPF items strictly as rip-off marketing. Reputable sporting good sellers are growing more careful to have protection proven and to move towards meeting stronger regulations.

Make no mistake about it, all clothing is NOT created equal. Wet, white cotton t-shirt offers very little protection and you CAN EASILY get burned through one. Darker colors tend to offer better protection with the trade off of getting hot... tightness of weave is also a factor... if clothing has larger weave and sunlight gets through it, more damage will result. That's why many items sold as protective clothing have vents built in - tight weave so need vents to have air circulation. I actually prefer the long sleeved technical t-style shirts myself... just choose ones with a bit of color and without the loosest weave pattern. And for what it's worth, Doc recommends patients see clothes in general as a preference OVER sunscreens as there are so many variables associated with sunscreen effectiveness (washing off, ingredients breaking down, etc). Folks should think of sunscreen as the final method of defense in a list of items (clothes, shade, etc), and not as a lone tool to fight exposure. :thumbup: :beer:
This is a great discussion and as a Florida native "senior" angler, it is interesting that we are coming around now to how old timey Florida "cracker" fishermen used to dress. In the olden days, the characters I revered all wore long pants and long sleeved shirts, plus big hats. Even though their faces and hands were like brown leather, the rest of them was covered. Us kids put on baby oil and worked on the best tan we could get, all over if possible. No shoes, no shirts, hats, shorts. Bronze god was the thing. We loved it, then. Sunscreen was a beach umbrella.

Twenty years later sunscreen you applied to skin was invented, and that was a big deal. We actually started to use something to prevent tanning, and worked into more cover clothes over the years. Biggest problem I had was that the chemicals irritated my skin, so using it was a tradeoff. I have been fishing with long shirts and pants, plus a big hat, for at least the past ten years. Fabrics have gotten a lot better, as has sunscreen. Mostly, the guys I fish with today still use sunscreen seldom, wear ball caps, shorts, and don't put the shirts or shoes on until way into the day. Even with covering up, I had the Efudex "torture treatment" for sun damage to my face, neck, hands, and arms this winter, and it was the worst self-inflicted "cure" I have ever endured. Doc said that damage was done early and told me these days I should pull up the Buff all the way over my face, not just on the neck, even with the big hat. Well, I do when on plane and in the wind but under the T-top I don't pull it up.

One tip I have for you guys: use a lip sunscreen that contains avobenzone, or any combo that controls both UV A & B. Most don't, so you have to look at the ingredients. The worst damage I had was on my lips, as they are tough to protect, even with a hat. You have to keep putting the lip screen on (or pull up a Buff)- but, you need to do it. When I was near done with my treatment I had chunks of my lips that blistered and fell away, so bloody, blistered, and raw that I could hardly eat and had to drink with a straw. Point is the lips get sun all of the time outdoors, and tender they are.

Luck,

EJ
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I was curious about a buff and whether it would feel hot and suffocating or not.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Get to the ramp about an hour before the sun comes up, then catch your limit (or your fill) and be at home rinsing off the boat and cleaning fish by the time the sun is high enough to be an issue.
guthooked wrote:I was curious about a buff and whether it would feel hot and suffocating or not.
Fishing in the buff is the opposite of feeling hot & suffocating :wink:
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb