Regular Reel Maintenance

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Regular Reel Maintenance

Post by fishinfool »

Don't forget to keep up the maintenance on your reels. Regular maintenance helps to insure reliable functioning of your reel when it really counts.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Regular Reel Maintenance

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I still need to get my Curado to you. I'll try to ship it tomorrow.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good post. I was going to post the same reminder after my weekend trip to the pond with the stepson. My little Diawa spinner is probably 10 years old and worked fine the last time I used it last summer. My fishing time the last year has been non existent. I rinsed the reel off with a water hose last time and planned to use it before now so I didn't break it apart and do any maintenance. I pulled it out this weekend and it is frozen. Won't reel forward, backward, won't move at all. I tore it apart and the bearing and pinion gear is frozen in place. I soaked it down with penetrating oil and it still won't move 3 days later.
Now I've got to go through the rest and hopefully won't find any more in this condition. Any tips on the Diawa to salvage it? If I remember correctly, I got it on sale for about $40 so I'm guessing it would be better in the long run just to trash it and get another spinning reel.
Last edited by Rhettley on June 7th, 2012, 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Hey Fishinfool - This may be a stupid question, but - Could you provide us with list of steps for "regular basic maintenance" for rods and reels :smt017
It may prove helpful to some of us non-professionals :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I TAKE ALL OF MY REELS APAART IN THE WINTER AND REGREASE AND OIL ALL PARTS THAT NEED IT,, I HAVE 5 ABU REELS AND HAVE ONLY HAD TO REPLACE THE WORM AND PAUL ON ONE OF THEM THAT IS OVER 30 YRS OLD. THAT ONE REEL ALSO HAS HAD THE MAIN DRIVE GEAR AND WASHERS AND DRAG WASHERS REPLACED ABOUT 6-7 YRS. AGO AND STILL IS MY FAVORITE FISHING OUTFIT. I HAVE ONLY USED THE OTHER REELS WHEN I HAD GUEST ON BOARD, WHICH IS ABOUT EVERY TRIP I GO ON. WHEN I GO IN SALT WATER I COME HOME AND SPRAY WASH ALL EQUIPMENT USED THAT DAY WITH FRESH WATER. LET THEM DRY IN THE SUN AND THEN SPRAY THE REELS DOWN GOOD WITH W-D 40, THE OUTFITS ARE THEN READY TO GO FISH AGAIN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

mjsigns wrote:Hey Fishinfool - This may be a stupid question, but - Could you provide us with list of steps for "regular basic maintenance" for rods and reels :smt017
It may prove helpful to some of us non-professionals :wink:
Can't help with reels but rods are pretty simple.
After a day in the salt, rinse them off with Salt X, then a liberal wash of fresh water. Once or twice a year, I like to give them quick once over with Pledge or light coat of wax. This will help keep scales from sticking to the rod. A Scotch pad over your grips every now & then will cut down on the grime from heavy use and keep them looking fresh.
Also, keep a check on your guides, especially if you're using braid. The easiest way to run a section of panty hose through them. That way if there is a groove or small crack, they'll grab and you can have it replaced.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

It is real simple folks. After a saltwater day rinse the reels well with freshwater. Do not be afraid to soak the spool. The line will hold a lot of salt. It would not hurt to make a cast or two while the reel is still wet. This will sling off some of the salt from the rotor and line, or spool and line if you have baitcasters. On a spinning reel the line roller will usually have at least one bearing. If you are using artificials this roller is subjected to many many yards of saltwater soaked line. All that soaking and rolling has to allow saltwater to get into the bearing. All steel bearings, stainless or not, will rust given enough time and salt. I have found a good spray of an aerosol lubricant will help to disperse contaminants after the the rinsing process. I usually wet my reels, take a cast or two, and let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes while I clean other things. This allows any dried salt to loosen. Then I give them another good rinse to wash away the remaining salt. Salt X works also, but is not necessary. Then I spray the line rollers. I am not a big fan of WD-40 but if that is all you have it is much better than nothing. I personally and professionally use Corrosion X spray and Reel X for general lubrication. About every 2-3 trips you need to apply 2-3 drops of reel oil to the inside of the reel. Some manufacturers have included a service port on the side of the reel case. If you do not have a port you can simply remove the handle and apply the oil in the hole between the handle mount and the case. Most baitcasters have a way to get to the gears on the handle side with knurled screws. The same applies, 2-3 drops of oil and work it in. When applying oil, more is not always better. Two to three drops is plenty for routine maintenance. If you don't have Reel X use the oil that came with the reel or Corrosion X (Corrosion X for guns is the same product) and is recommended by a lot of the top manufacturers. Just like your favorite firearm, wiping your reel down with a lightly oiled rag will do wonders to preserve the finish and reduce corrosion.
As far as rods, Matthew pretty much covered it all. On my cork handles I use "Goop" hand cleaner. It removes the dirt and oil and it has lanolin in it which keeps the cork soft.
If you have specific questions about your reel that I have not covered here, PM me. I will be happy to reply.
Jim
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I finally got the pinion and main bearings to come out. Bearings don't show any rust but they don't roll smoothly, catching a lot. I'm debating if the reel is salvageable. All my Shimano reels that were used on the last trip and rinsed like the Diawa are working fine but I'll pull the side plate and clean and lube each one as soon as I can find a store around here that carries Line X or something equivalent.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If your bearing is not rolling smoothly it probably never will. It should be replaced. It is up to you as to whether or not it is worth it. Anything can be fixed for a price.
flogator

Post by flogator »

Cork reel handles - I have used denatured alcohol, but have found that hair shampoo and dish pad are easier and work better. Spray rod with furniture spray. salt-x and light water spray after using both rod and reel. Question - I used 'reel magic' on 2 shimano spinners and had the rubber? bushing under the rotor disengerate, is this a known problem?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Yes, it is a common problem. The "friction ring" on most Shimano spinning reels reacts to different oils.Reel Magic works well on line but is murder on Shimano reels. It will turn the friction ring to mush. Shimano reel oil and CorrosionX do not hurt these rings, but I am not sure of any others. This "O"ring is located between the rotor and the frame and when it starts to break down can cause the reel to bind.
The paddle style handles on many of the Shimano spinning reels have an adverse reaction to many sun screens. After applying sunscreen while on the water I wash my hands with camp soap. It is a good idea to wash your hands before handling your lures as well. Insect repellent, fuel, oil, and sunscreen can turn fish away from your lure.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Unless I just missed it, Reel Magic is the only kind of oil, grease, or lubricant that the local Walmart carries now. They really screwed up their product selection this year... Larry's Bait and Tackle or maybe the Beall's Ace Hardware might carry some. There is also a good firearms store in town I will check at.
Fishinfool or anyone else what products do you recommend for Shimano spinning reels for the bearings and gears? How about the worm gear on Shimano baitcasters?

Edit= I got to digging and found a bottle of shimano reel oil in the box from the last reel I bought. I still need to know about grease. Seems like everyone likes the Reel X and Salt X products too.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

For oil I recommend ReelX made by corrosion technologies. You can also use CorrosionX in either the aerosol or as I prefer, the 4oz bottle(CorrosionX for guns). There is a also a 16oz trigger spray bottle available.
I do not have them yet but I will soon have the ReelX mini packs. I will let you know what the price is next week.
As far as grease I recommend Cal's Universal Reel and Drag Grease. It comes in a 1oz jar and is available in regular(tan colored) or light(purple colored). The light is thinner and is what I use primarily. You can order the grease from me, or directly from http://www.smoothdrag.com/
the price of $7.00 is the same either way, but I can save you a little money on shipping.
Quantum Hot Sauce is widely used. It must be good because it is nearly impossible to get out of a reel. DO NOTget this stuff on your anti reverse roller assembly (roller clutch) in any of your Shimano Reels. It will stop the anti reverse from functioning and allow the reel to backspin. I do not recommend the use of any grease in the roller clutch assembly and only very sparingly do I ever oil them.
flogator

Post by flogator »

Thanks for the reply. Will try to find your recomendations.