Carp-O-licious!!!

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Carp-O-licious!!!

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

With the lake trying to come up to summer pool It's tough to find a flat with no "green stuff".... If you find fish up in the shallows, they are in so much debris it's tough getting a fly in an open spot! Found some fish that were up on the rocks and facing the bank. These guys were waiting for stuff to fall in the water and then they would turn and feed around. Finally connected with a nice fish that turned and ate the fly!

Kept working that side of the lake and I would find fish up in the weeds, but they were spooky, spooky and you can't get your fly where it needs to be seen!! Tough finding open spots in the weeds to place a fly!

Went back and worked the same bank, but never connected. Found a couple of fish mudding out in front of the grass and connected for the 2nd fish of the day!!!

Here's the power plant on these dudes!

Worked hard for these 2 fish, but it was a great day out there and I'll take it!
Last edited by KyTrkyHntr on June 4th, 2012, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Re: Carp-O-licious!!!

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good stuff Timmy! :thumbup: :thumbup:
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i bet that was a fight. i love catching carp...didnt think you could get em on a fly though. if you dont mind me asking, what were you using?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Way to keep after 'em, Tim.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

silverking wrote:Way to keep after 'em, Tim.

mbweimar wrote:i bet that was a fight. i love catching carp...didnt think you could get em on a fly though. if you dont mind me asking, what were you using?
They do put up a good battle! Very "bullish" fish which makes for a good tug of war! :-D

Don't mind at all!!!! Last year I was throwing a rust colored Backstabber fly, but so far this season I've been using a fly called Barry's Spork..... Rust color of course... :wink:

Both flies mimic the "crawfish look" and they seem to love that pattern here. Here's a pic of the Backstabber and a link to Barry's Spork i picked up from the Feather-Craft website. They have quite a few Carp patterns to choose from. Those ride "hook up" so you don't get hung up as much...... I've read of people using regular Bonefish flies in natural colors, but haven't tried those yet.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?s ... rget=JF490

Image Image
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

im impressed ky, ill have to try that one day. i was in pennsylvania for 6 months last year for work and decided to take up fly fishing, so im still learning.

i saw your post with the gar too. a few old timers have told me about the nylon rope trick, but i've been skeptical. i may try to make a rig and take it down to the wakulla river. that'd make for a good fight in my 5-6 rig.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

mbweimar wrote:im impressed ky, ill have to try that one day. i was in pennsylvania for 6 months last year for work and decided to take up fly fishing, so im still learning.

i saw your post with the gar too. a few old timers have told me about the nylon rope trick, but i've been skeptical. i may try to make a rig and take it down to the wakulla river. that'd make for a good fight in my 5-6 rig.

I'm still learning too!! :-D

Image Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

As always, cool seeing the carp-e diem posts! :thumbup: Now that shared, see the "Carp-O-licious!!!" subject header so have to know, do you ever keep them / have you tested their food value? Googled the subject and they make it sound like carp are still highly prized in parts of Europe and were once a food of royalty.
And if KyTrkyHntr hasn't had it, anybody else willing to speak to the subject? Just curious! salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i've heard a few old timers say its good eatin'. never been brave enough try.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

big bend gyrene wrote:As always, cool seeing the carp-e diem posts! :thumbup: Now that shared, see the "Carp-O-licious!!!" subject header so have to know, do you ever keep them / have you tested their food value? Googled the subject and they make it sound like carp are still highly prized in parts of Europe and were once a food of royalty.
And if KyTrkyHntr hasn't had it, anybody else willing to speak to the subject? Just curious! salute1
Negative! I'm with mbweimar.... not brave enough.... I googled the subject... Carp Tacos sounds interesting... but first I'd have to be :drnk_1 and then I would :smt078

Image Image