thinking about getting a new boat...suggestions?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Re: thinking about getting a new boat...suggestions?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:Wow JT I did not know you took RC's place.

JT's trying to keep you in check while I'm fighting the good fight else where. Kinda of the Bat Girl to my Batman. Holding down the fort.

To the subject at hand, take a drive over to Perry and look over the Xpresses @ Jack's & the Sea Ark's at Big Bend.
I hear ya. LOL Batgirl :lol:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Aluminum is great if you regularly bounce off rocks and oyster bars like JT, but I still recommend going with glass. It's quieter and smoother riding generally. You just have to watch where you're going. :wink:

Here's a local option with an impressive pedigree:

spearflatsskiffs.com
He's located off Hwy 98 in Panacea behind the Coastal Restaurant.

Harry Spear was a legendary guide in the Keys and he's now building epoxy, one-piece skiffs in Panacea. His Low Tide is a two-man skiff that weighs less than 300 pounds and drafts 5 inches. Boat, motor and trailer packages start at less than $20K. Easy to trailer, easy to launch, cheap to run and easy to pole.

I'm going to add one to my fleet as soon as I buy that winning PowerBall ticket.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Metal. Get a center console. It sounds like a 16-17' boat will suit you. I fish a lot alone and I have a 17' G3, works.

When you run into an oyster bar or rock you won't cringe. :o
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Here's ours... 1966 G3 - 2009 with a Yamaha 90 4 Stroke. Gets out of it's own way. Putting a T-Top on it this week.

mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

wow thanks for taking the time to find that stuff for me guys! i think i've got it narrowed down. it may not be a purchase i make right away, but i have a pretty good idea of what i want. i definitely want to try to stay in the $10K range, and it looks like thats what the used G3's are going for.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

U just missed out on my used 17ft g3 i traded in on a 18ft tunnel it had a new trolling motor and power pole on it. You may be able to get for about that price from mikes if he still has it.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Check out the 190 triumph never seen one up close but if you watch their comercial on their web site it might change your mind hull is almost bullet proof made out of something called roplen
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Gator Trax with mud motor! Only way to bounce off oyster bars and rocks and laugh! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Badbagger wrote:Here's ours... 1966 G3 - 2009 with a Yamaha 90 4 Stroke. Gets out of it's own way. Putting a T-Top on it this week.

clean boat! definitely doesnt look like a '66
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

i think 1966 means 19' long, 66" wide. your right though...clean boat! im gonna keep my eye out on craigslist.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

mbweimar wrote:i think 1966 means 19' long, 66" wide. your right though...clean boat! im gonna keep my eye out on craigslist.
haha didnt think of that, thanks!