Boating Safety or Advanced Boating Techniques

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

neckmoe

Boating Safety or Advanced Boating Techniques

Post by neckmoe »

Thought with all this rough weather we've been having I'd ask this group if they had any tips or tricks to share in rough conditions or even in emergency situations. I recently was involved in a rescue where we picked up 4 guys off a capsized 25 ft boat and afterwards I kept finding myself thinking what I'd do different. Is anyone aware of any literature or courses that are offered for advanced boating? After getting back to work on that following Monday I shared my experience with a colleague who was involved with the Coast Guard Aux and he offered a few tips.

1. When approaching a wreck site or rescue, you should circle the site for debris or foriegn matter that might cause harm to your vessel.
2. At first sign of distress, immediately put on your life vests.
3. Always get a radio check prior to leaving port. (found out after we picked up the guys our radio wasn't transmitting. Could recieve just fine and didn't think any thing of it.
3. In heavy seas, set your anchor and line out on deck in the event you should capsize it will hopefully deploy and possibly hold you in the location.......I questioned this as having the anchor out on deck might be dangerous if it were to bounce around and hit someone or damage something.

The main thing I've learned is don't stop in heavy seas. Keep the boat moving forward and bow into the waves as much as possible. Don't want to take a wave over the stern.

I'd appreciate any other tips anyone would like to share.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
EddieJoe

Re: Boating Safety or Advanced Boating Techniques

Post by EddieJoe »

Here's what I suggest everyone should do before leaving port.

1)the boat operator should go over your vessel's basic operation so that anyone could at least start and steer the boat if necessary.
2)Show the passengers where the PFDs are stowed, as well as the other emergency equipment like the throwable ring, the flares, the first aid kit, and the fire extinguisher. Demo the compass and the VHF and how to hail on 16 for help.
3)Describe how to activate your EPIRB and what it does (Yes, you should have one or a PLB if you go offshore).
4)Show passengers where the anchor and rode is stowed, plus any other equipment like handheld VHF or extra anchor line or anchors they might need.
5)Suggest that passengers don an inflatable PFD while underway, and do it yourself to make the point.
6)Use the kill switch lanyard and attach it to your belt.

I believe your #3 is a bad idea. In heavy seas, you need all loose items stowed and that surely includes the anchor and rode.

EJ
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Yea, I didn't think #3 sounded to good either. I can see where it might make sense but I believe it could cause more harm than good.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Being the old salt that he is :wink: EJ has some great advice. I always go through a quick safety brief with my clients before we start any trip.

A ditch bag that contains essential items that can be grabbed quickly is vital for offshore. If memory serves me, there was a recent thread about recommendations for items to include. And I would also add that a sea anchor/wind sock is another important safety item. They don't take up much room, but if you lose power in heavy seas, tying one off the bow will keep the boat facing into the waves for a better attitude. Great fishing tool, too, to slow a drift in strong winds.

I also carry a fully-stocked first aid kit and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to use to wash out cuts, etc.

A USCG Auxiliary or Power Squadron safety class is never a waste of time. Many insurance companies also give a discount upon completion, too.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

EddieJoe wrote:Here's what I suggest everyone should do before leaving port.

1)the boat operator should go over your vessel's basic operation so that anyone could at least start and steer the boat if necessary.
2)Show the passengers where the PFDs are stowed, as well as the other emergency equipment like the throwable ring, the flares, the first aid kit, and the fire extinguisher. Demo the compass and the VHF and how to hail on 16 for help.
3)Describe how to activate your EPIRB and what it does (Yes, you should have one or a PLB if you go offshore).
4)Show passengers where the anchor and rode is stowed, plus any other equipment like handheld VHF or extra anchor line or anchors they might need.
5)Suggest that passengers don an inflatable PFD while underway, and do it yourself to make the point.
6)Use the kill switch lanyard and attach it to your belt.

I believe your #3 is a bad idea. In heavy seas, you need all loose items stowed and that surely includes the anchor and rode.

EJ

Number 6 should be done anytime the boat is underway in my opinion.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

I'm bad about not using mine. As much as fish alone I need to start wearing it more. That's gonna be my "midyear resolution."
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Number A1A: Panic attacks are not authorized. Not under any circumstances.

Number (something): A scared man with a 5 gallon bucket can move a lot of water.

Second that in heavy seas everything is stowed and secured.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Charles wrote:Number A1A: Panic attacks are not authorized. Not under any circumstances.

Number (something): A scared man with a 5 gallon bucket can move a lot of water.

Second that in heavy seas everything is stowed and secured.

You couldn't be more right about the scared man! My son was green as hell when we performed the rescue and as it was rough out and we were taking on a little more water than the scuppers could drain out quickly, giving him the chore of bailing water was the sure cure to his sea sickness. :lol: