Neighborhood Hog………and a new crossbow

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Neighborhood Hog………and a new crossbow

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Been away for three weeks but we are back around now and excited to start fishing again.

Thought you might enjoy a short story: I recently purchased a TenPoint Turbo XLT II with the idea of my 13 yr old son Casey using it for an upcoming Canadian black bear hunt we would be doing in early June (just returned). Prior to this trip we’ve been having hog problems in our Ponte Vedra/Palm Valley neighborhood and 4 days before we were to leave for Canada I saw two of the parties responsible enjoying/rooting up a common area in the neighborhood. It was 6:15 a.m., overcast, still dark, and raining so I got on my bug suit and swapped two field tips for 125 gr Spitfire broadheads.

Note: a month before I used a rifle on another sow and that didn’t go over so well with a particular resident……..futuristically speaking I figured the crossbow might be the ticket as it’s silent.

After a short stalk I reduced it to 30 yards and took the shot using the illuminated dot/crosshair (I really like this scope!!). Upon a solid “WHACK!!” she jumped and trotted 8 yards then started walking sideways, then started walking sideways to the other side, turned a 360 and just dropped. She didn’t go 25 yards. That Spitfire head was devastating. I never did find the arrow.

Exit wound. Sow went ~ 100 - 110 lbs

TenPoint Turbo XLT II

This was the first time hunting with a crossbow for me. That was a great confidence boost just prior to leaving for Canada with Casey for a bear hunt!

Note: on the last day of the Manitoba Canada black bear hunt Casey took a nice boar with the TenPoint. These crossbow are wicked!!
Brian
Quality Time
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Neighborhood Hog………and a new crossbow

Post by SHOWBOAT »

nice. Lets see the bear Brian.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Yum, yum BBQ!
rocket
Site Sponsor