Coming along

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Coming along

Post by onefishtwofish »

Got my rod and reel and have been practicing in my yard, on the deck of the boat (parked in yard) and standing on the ground. It is finally starting to come around for some decent distance casting. Wore a blister on my finger last night casting. Watching some videos after each session to see what I am doing wrong and figuring what I am doing right. Now need to practice in some wind and then at hitting some targets.

I feel like I am starting all over at fishing, it is very different than just casting, but it is starting to come around. Just gotta remember to keep the elbow on the shelf. Lefty Kreh videos are my favorite.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Coming along

Post by silverking »

Sounds like you're making some really good progress. Here's a suggestion for accuracy:

Take paper plates or loops of nylon rope and set them out at different angles/distances from your position (the bow). When you can hit those targets with minimal false casts on the mark, you'll be almost be ready. The final trial comes when you turn the fan on full blast, stand on a bar stool while someone is shaking the mud out of it and someone else is spraying you down with the water hose while your knees are knocking.

Oh, wait a minute. You're talking about trout and redfish, right and not tarpon? OK, then you're just about good to go. :lol:

Have fun and post up your results.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Re: Coming along

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

silverking wrote:The final trial comes when you turn the fan on full blast, stand on a bar stool while someone is shaking the mud out of it and someone else is spraying you down with the water hose while your knees are knocking.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Pretty much dead on!!! :thumbup: AND... you're staring at a huge fish cruising, rolling and you think they're not swimming that fast but when you let the fly go it's at that moment that you should have lead the fish by another 3-4-6-12 feet.... :-D

Keep up the good work!! Sounds like it's coming together! Lefty's videos are great!
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image