Anyone been to Aucilla lately?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Anyone been to Aucilla lately?

Post by Dockwilson »

Anyone been to Aucilla lately? Thinking of going Saturday AM. Reports?
MuleTrainGA

Re: Anyone been to Aucilla lately?

Post by MuleTrainGA »

My buddy and I went out of econfina last week. You know that color of coffee when you put a spoonful of milk in it??? Thats about what it looked like. I think we had about 6" of visibility everywhere we went. We did manage some fish however. But it was a long day of catfish, rock bass, and a few trout all on gulp on the bottom.
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
charlie tuna

Re: Anyone been to Aucilla lately?

Post by charlie tuna »

I was fishing the mouth of Aucilla Tuesday. I ran out of Ecofina to fish the incoming tide. First of all, the low tide at the ramp was still pretty "high" and the water was clear-but stained -- tasted like brackish (1/2 fresh and 1/2 salt). As i ran outside and headed to Aucilla there was too much scatered grass to plug cast for trout. Water temperature was 86 degrees. About half way to Aucilla, i can across a rip that had gathered a line of grass about six feet wide running East and West. Once i crossed that the grass wasn't too bad. Turned and worked my way in to my first point. There was plenty of finger mullet around and some top water action. So i started with a top water plug and quickly hooked a tarpon about 40 pounds, he got off after two jumps. Then i picked up a nice mack. The top water action came quiet, so i went to a spoon and some medium running plugs with no hits. About 1 1/2 hours into my trip, i noticed two squals offshore, one to the North and the other to the South. I figured i could move to some other areas to the South and avoid getting wet, so i picked up and ran South. The only trouble was this storm had widened out and was catching up to me and showed some lightning! As i stopped at my point i noticed a guy in a Gheenoe fishing, so i continued to the next point. After only a few casts i picked up a nice trout. The grass was a real pain and very thick. But the storm was just getting too close and the guy in the Gheenoe had the same idea -- to get inside!! We both reached the ramp about the same time. He had picked up four nice trout in that area, he said the fishing was red hot, but didn't like the looks of the storm. I think the water is still on the freshwater side from the runoff.