Leveling Kit?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hard Knox
Site Sponsor

Leveling Kit?

Post by Hard Knox »

I've got an 05 F-150 4x4, I've been seeing people put leveling kits on their trucks to get rid of the factory rake. So my question would be, has anyone had any experience with installing one of these? It being a 2.5" spacer at the top of the strut I can't help but wonder if it will throw off the geometry of the front suspension and cause premature wear on the ball joints etc. I like the look of a leveled truck but not if a $200 kit is gonna cause $2000 worth of problems. So any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bottomtime

Re: Leveling Kit?

Post by Bottomtime »

I put one under my 2007 F-250 and it caused no issues at all. I didn't even do an alignment afterward, which is recommended, but the truck drove fine and there was no uneven wear on the tires. After installing, I put about another 15K miles on the tires I had before replacing them (they had roughly 50K on them at replacement). The new tires had over 50K on them when I removed them to trade the truck in and there was no signs of uneven wear. A buddy is still running that last set of tires and wheels on his f-250 now. I have purchased a leveling kit for my new Tundra, but haven't yet installed it as I'm SURE it will need an alignment to correct the changes in geometry.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I put a 2.5 on my 06 Fx4 about a year or two ago...no problems. The problems were with the 3" kits and if you have been hit or have any damage to the front end. It will stiffen the ride - a lot. I installed it myself....despite what the forums say I had to remove the shock assembly to add the spacer. Then I carried it to a shop and had the suspension checked...nothing changed.

Hard Knox
Site Sponsor

Post by Hard Knox »

That's what I needed to know, Thanks fellas! BTW thats a good lookin truck chalk
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i have a 2.5 under my 08-f250 and it still rides like factory, i went with the Readylift they are a little bit more than most but, you get what you payfor. i would have an alignment done or least imspected to see if you need one once you install it.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

That is a sweet looking F-150 there Chalk. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

always, always, ALWAYS do an alignment after doing any front end work.