Academy Sports

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Academy Sports

Post by reelbad »

Just received the sales paper for the A/S, Looks like any other big chain outfit to me. I did not see anything that would indicate lower prices than any of our local shops. I will go out and look like everyone else but will make my regular purchases with the local homegrown business. Remember, these box stores will not sponser any of our tournaments or give us a discount just because we are BBF or NFGFC members. That being said, I do hope that all of the sporting goods stores can compete and be succesfull so that folks can have jobs to provide for their families.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Academy Sports

Post by Harmsway »

:stupid_1
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bman

Post by bman »

Agreed... remember sportsman's warehouse. Here today gone tomorrow.
The local guys will be here to take care of you.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

The first mate and I wento check it out. The parking lot was full, store was stocked, lights were on... Then we were met with the 2.0 (rent a cop) who was completely rude and couldn't even put down her cigarette an e-book thing just to point at the crudely made sign that said the store was opening the 31st. I will take a firm handshake, great customer service & local folks that work hard to support their families over a box store any day. I'm sorry but bounce houses, free pizza & face painting won't make me shop there... Jus Sayin'
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Valdosta is having a big box invasion! Gander opened Friday and Academy to open in a month or so. We got back a little early from our scalloping trip, so we had to wait until Church was over to return. We killed 20 minutes in Gander. Didn't spend a dime. Now Friday at local T3's, several cases of shells followed me home.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

There is NOTHING in Moultrie. Walmart is pitiful. We do have one little bait and tackle that carries a decent selection of lures and a small gun store. Cairo is about 45 minutes away and really out of my way driving and I try to avoid Albany these days. Valdosta is a whole lot closer that Tallahassee for me. I went in the Gander Mountain store yesterday and it was pretty good. They could make some small changes in what they carry. I liked the fact that they don't clutter up the store with a bunch of Chinese made low end knock off junk like BPS does. The gun section is probably the biggest I've ever been in. With Gander and Academy it will sure be nice for me not to have to make the long drive to Tallahassee.

That said, I'll shop a local owned store first if they have what I want and price it reasonably. What and where are the local fishing and hunting stores in Valdosta? I've been in the marine store in front of the mall and they had a fair selection but were extremely expensive. I've not noticed a decent hunting or fishing store while in town and an internet search didn't reveal anything.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

When I can, I shop Tallahassee local, and Kevin's has most of what I want. So far, IMO the reason the other Tallahassee big box Sporting Goods stores tanked was because they did a terrible job of researching the market and stocking accordingly. SW, for example, had tons of fishing tackle that was appropriate for other markets (like the Pacific Coast and the midwest lakes) but only a modest amount of tackle suitable for local waters and fishing. A lot of their other outdoor products were also "out of place" for the NW Florida area and it was just stupid, IMO. Somebody that handled their buying was out to lunch, and the local employees said they had absolutely no say on what was carried by the store. With that kind of management, an enterprise will always fail.

Kevin's staff (at least in the past) have been smug about them "beating" the competition and closing them down, but IMO the competition beat itself. Even so, I will still shop Kevin's most of the time.

EJ

bman wrote:Agreed... remember sportsman's warehouse. Here today gone tomorrow.
The local guys will be here to take care of you.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The reason sw closed, had nothing to do w Kevin's shutting them down. It closed because the company closed the stores farthest away from corporate HQ. It had nothing to do w how much business they had or didn't have. That bein said I prefer to buy my fishing tackle from Kevin's, I think Lin and miles are top notch. But I have been treated poorly by a particular gentleman in the firearms dept. a number of times. I'm sure y'all know who that is. I still by shells there, but will never buy a gun there. All about customer SERVICE, not customer attitude.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jeffry50

Post by Jeffry50 »

Having shopped at Academy in both Mobile and Pensacola, I can assure you it will be stocked for this area. Also, it's prices will be extremely competitive. I would prefer to shop local but the customer service, or lack there of, that I've experienced at local stores is laughable. It also seems like there's an unwritten rule that most of the prices will automatically be above the retail cost. I'm excited about Academy moving in.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Both Academy and Gander Mountain have had very successful stores in other parts of GA and FL for a good while now so they know the market. I'm just excited to be able to drive 30 minutes instead of well over an hour.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE SEEN THE ADD'S ON T/V ABOUT THE GRAND OPENING OF THE STORE BUT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU WHERE THE STORE IS LOCATED, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS NEW STORE IS LOCATED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
PA
SOUTH FORTY
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Yeah....I wasgonna say.

SW closed because the company was bought out by a canadian firm that immediately downsized. It shut down 45 stores and our brand new one with the 90k a month (yes...a month) store rent was one of the first.

I like to shop local too....but I also like the selection and prices I can get online. So......*shrug* I know acadamy in other markets have great sales and deals....esp on kayak related merch....so we will see.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Good to know all of this info about chain stores and why they do what they do. Regardless of whether SW shut in Tally because of corporate downsizing, they carried inappropriate stock for round here, IMO. If they made any money it would be in spite of their market stock selection, not because of it. And, it sure wouldn't be because Kevin's out hustled them, but as I said that was not the attitude of Kevin's folks.
I have been in Academy stores in LA, and they carry pretty good stock for the coastal LA market, at least there. We will see how they do.

EJ
kikstand454 wrote:Yeah....I wasgonna say.

SW closed because the company was bought out by a canadian firm that immediately downsized. It shut down 45 stores and our brand new one with the 90k a month (yes...a month) store rent was one of the first.

I like to shop local too....but I also like the selection and prices I can get online. So......*shrug* I know acadamy in other markets have great sales and deals....esp on kayak related merch....so we will see.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I had heard, from the gun counter staff at SW, that the store was profitable, but when the company was bought, think they were actually in bankruptcy, that the parent needed to cut costs significantly, and this store was very far off the supply routes; couple that with the exorbitant rent, it was an easy choice from a cost cutting aspect.
850-273-8818
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

I think when you go into an Academy Sports store you will see it is more than just fishing or hunting. Great outdoor cooking stuff, Golf and all type ball sports, shoes and boots. You name it they have it. Yes we need to keep our local outdoor stores going and supported but this type of retail outlet will be a plus for Tally. Competition is good for everyone. I plan on shopping local when I can and will go to the big box stores when I can't find what I need from the locals.